1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Integrating Chicks...should I be worried?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Nutcase, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    The breeds I am hoping to get in future are not available from the same source. Will young chicks quickly accept newcomers when they are added to the flock or will they bully them? They would probably be 1 week old or less.

2. mithious

mithious Chillin' With My Peeps

I've hear some can work, some don't, so I would be ready with a separate brooder box, just incase, it might be just fine, I hear it's hard to tell until you actually put them together and see what happens...Best of luck with your new chooks and I hope all works out fine!

3. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    There is no way to know until you actually put them together. I've seen people have really good luck and I've also read posts of chicks/chickens killing each other. Just don't assume after 15 minutes that all is fine. They can easily turn on each other so you have to keep an eye on them.

Are you talking about ordering chicks from different places at the same time? If so I would keep them separate from each other, kind of like quarantine, just to watch illnesses. Actually I'd "quarantine" chicks/chickens no matter what, probably a week. My flock has been so healthy, I'd freak out if another chicken came near them lol

4. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    How long do you recommend keeping them separate?

5. ChirpyChicks1

Jul 22, 2013
    I'd go a week but I have no idea if there is a "standard" time that people follow, I'd just do a week. Plenty of time to see if any of the new comers are sick

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  6. ChirpyChicks1

Jul 22, 2013
  7. Jakoda

Jakoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Old Lyme CT
    I'm not seeing what age your current ones would be when adding others?

I have 3 different groups of ages and this is what I did...The first group was a year old, I brought in day olds,,i obviously kept them in the brooder for about a month..I built a separate area inside my run (I can't free range),,put the 3 in the separate area...When they were in there for a good 3 weeks, and are just about the size of my adult chickens, I let them integrate,,,it's actually been pretty easy...the "3" still stick together for the most part, one is a roo, and he is a big 'weenie',,,if one of the girls peck him he screams like a girl LOL...and he is much bigger now than my 1 year olds..

Ok, now in the house, I got 3, day olds, when they were 2 weeks old, I got 3 / 1 week olds,, I just put those right in with the older 3...The first few hours everyone was staring at everyone, trying to figure out what these 'newcomers' were...After 24 hours they were all 'buds'...

I think putting young young birds together, with not to much age difference is easier and fast to transition than adults to youngsters..plus the size factor..Just my newbie advice:)
    Diane

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by