Integrating Chicks With 2 Older Girls

sellersV

Chirping
Mar 21, 2017
Georgia
We have 12 chicks that will be 8 weeks next week and are feathered out.They have been moved
to the coop with a divider between them and the 2 older girls.They have been able to see but not touch . But they are beginning to outgrow their area quickly. My question is when can we try to introduce the chicks and let them out in the run with the other 2 ,and remove the divider .

CluckerFamily

Enabler
5 Years
Feb 14, 2016
Wisconsin
It truly depends on the flock. You could see what happens under supervision and be ready to intervene if anything goes bad.
I normally do the see but no touch for 2-3 weeks. Some people do it for a shorter amount of time.
You may want to add things inside the run for the little ones to hide or get up on to get away from the older ladies.

BleuSaphir

Crowing
9 Years
Oct 24, 2012
Santa Clarita, CA
Transitioning new one to existing older flock has been the most stressful for me of owning chicken. Especially when the older flock is 2 times or more older than new chicks.

I would keep the divider in place for protection. Put them together out in the yard and see how they interact.

sellersV

Chirping
Mar 21, 2017
Georgia
Yes I am a little stressed for sure, my older girls are pretty chill but you just don’t know . I thought about just letting them out into just the run not the yard ,but not sure if that would give them less area to hide

CluckerFamily

Enabler
5 Years
Feb 14, 2016
Wisconsin
Yes I am a little stressed for sure, my older girls are pretty chill but you just don’t know . I thought about just letting them out into just the run not the yard ,but not sure if that would give them less area to hide
How long have the little ones been in the coop?

Ridgerunner

Crossing the Road
12 Years
Feb 2, 2009
Southeast Louisiana
You are in Georgia and they are 8 weeks old so the weather should not be a factor. You've done see but don't touch for two weeks. How big, in feet, is your coop? How big, in feet, is your run? When do they have access to that run? Photos showing how everything is set up could be very helpful to know what you have to work with.

I find that my juveniles tend to avoid the adults until they mature enough to force their way into the pecking order, usually around the time they start to lay. Until then they form a sub-flock, avoiding the adults day and night. If you have enough room so they can avoid the adults day and night you probably won't have many, if any, issues. If room is tight it can be dangerous.

We can give you generic suggestions. Give them as much space as possible, clutter up that space so they have things to hide under, behind, or over to break line of sight, and set up widely separated feeding and watering spaces so they can eat and drink without conflict. We'd need to know what you have to work with to get any more specific than that.

Good luck!

Ridgerunner

Crossing the Road
12 Years
Feb 2, 2009
Southeast Louisiana
If they don't have access to that 900 square feet area when they need it then it doesn't count. If they have access it is great. When do they have access?

8 x16 will probably be OK once they are integrated. Until they are integrated it could be pretty small. 16 feet isn't that much distance if it is a line of sight distance. How is that coop/run area laid out? A photo might really help.

Top Bottom