Integrating duckling to older birds

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sab, Mar 4, 2012.

1. sab

sab Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    Ripley, WV
    My Coop
    Very short description: 1 pekin raised with 5 chickens - she's 2 1/2 yrs old. Just got 5 chicks and another pekin duckling. I want the duckling imprinted more to big duck than other chicks. With chickens the intergration process is slow. How bout with ducks??? At what age can I introduce big duck to little duck? If sooner than with chickens then do I need to separate the 2 ducks from the chickens to keep the chickens from pecking the duck? Or will they ignore the duckling because it's not a chicken??

Thanks in advance!!

2. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Depends on the duck but best advice is wait until the ducklings is similar size to the duck. The chickens may pick on the duckling, again depends on the chickens. Unfortunately, the duck could kill the duckling. I have had 6 rouen ducklings ( 1 month old now) sharing the duck run with my muscovy pair for 3 weeks (fencing between them) and the first intro a few days ago did not go well.

3. sab

Jul 28, 2010
    Ripley, WV
    My Coop
    Oh! I don't want to hear that!,,,, I asked bout getting another duck for big duck here on the forum and the response was positive. Otherwise I wouldn't have gotten the duckling. Maybe I should give it away while it's still little.....

4. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    When you asked before, did you ask about getting a duck or a duckling? An adult would certainly be recommended.

You can certainly try and see how your duck reacts. I wouldn't leave them alone when the duckling is very small. Until it is warm enough the duckling can't be outside anyway. On warmer days, you could take the duckling out and keep it in a small crate/cage so that your duck can see it and it can see your duck. You would still need to let your duck and chickens aclimate to the new arrivals. I would go ahead and brood it with the chicks you are getting until it can be outside. Then try introductions.

If your Pekin happens to be broody she may more readily accept it. I would try it and then if it doesn't work out give away the duckling.

Best of luck. [​IMG]

5. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Okay just read your other thread and you did say duckling. Now this is my opinion only so don't rush to a decision. [​IMG] It seems like you are familiar with introducing new chicks and the process is similar for ducks.

Since your duck won't swim etc, the duckling may be your opportunity to teach her duckie behavior. While the duckling is small, let it swim in warm bathes etc then maybe your adult will follow suit later. Again, I wish you luck and hope for the best.

6. sab

Jul 28, 2010
    Ripley, WV
    My Coop
    Thank you so much. I had planned to introduce them slowly. Just don't know if ducks do the pecking order thing and how severe that might be. I had 3chickens and the duck originally. Then last spring I raised 2 chicks and successfully integrated those to the flock. Come to think of it, it was duck that lowered her head like a tank and charged at those 2 chicks. I have lots of means of separating them - from dog kennels to dog play pens to chicken tractors. I was just hoping to hear that ducks are kinder to their own kind. Duck has a sweet disposition about her. Lays an egg every day. Watches over those chickens and bosses them when she doesnt want them laying where she laid. But I just gathered 6 eggs from 2 nests - most of which were where the duck laid. She's the queen. I just want her to enjoy the big pond and she doesn't. I wonder if the koi/Lilly pad stems scare her.

7. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Make sure to keep us updated on how they are doing. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by