integrating ducklings to "ducklings"

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Hillaire, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Hillaire

Hillaire Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2017
    Hudson Valley NY
    hey yall...

I am not an expert with chickens but I feel I know a good deal about them, I grew up on a farm so I know my way around poultry... as far as waterfowl goes... not so much. So I have a question when it comes to my ducklings... I have a pair of 6 week old mallard duckling hens. I also have a pair of 3 week old fawn and white runner duck ducklings (both hens). My fiancé built herself a big brooder to put the 6 week old hens in while I finish the duck A frame. Yesterday we put the 3 week olds in the brooder with them with a wooden divider that they can peer over to see each other... That is working great and I'm sure that will help with the integration process. Now here is the kicker we are getting 2 day old fawn and white runner ducklings 1 drake 1 hen today.... (we were supposed to get the 4 runners in the same shipment but the store owner misordered) I will have them in a separate brooder of course as they grow... how easy is it to integrate... the mallards have a little wild side to them when they come to people... they don't like to be handled and that's my fault as I had them in with chicks the first couple weeks and they imprinted on them over us even though we spent a lot of time with them. They're coming around to us but its a slow go, the runners are little puppy dogs that cry for us when they hear us come down into the garage. I'm not really worried about the integration but would like some advice on anything I should think of... Thanks in advance

2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Wouldnt worry.But when ducls are nervous or scared they may show even more aggression,young ducklings do this alot.I have soem scaredy anconas who chase our dogs trying to appear aggressive.When we first introduced them,they were only about 6 maybe 8 weeks old and would chase and snap at our older ducks.So,if thwy are intimidated,they may be a bit aggressive,but just try it.

3. Hillaire

Hillaire Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2017
    Hudson Valley NY
    ok, thanks for the advice. I hate having 6 ducks all different ages but what can ya do lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by