Integrating flock/sleeping situation

think_pos

Hatching
May 15, 2018
We have a flock of 4 4-year-olds (originally 6, but 2 died in the last year) who are still laying regularly in our backyard coop and also have 6 6-week-olds (4 hens, 1 banty hen, 1 surprise banty rooster) that will be moving out of our enclosed porch (ugh--I had forgotten how dusty and messy chicks are!) and into a coop addition that I am hoping to finish up this week. I am adding about 30 square feet (with an enclosed height of 5 feet) to the current run and will move them into that new space, leaving the hardware cloth that divides them in place for several weeks until I am confident no-one will be seriously attacked. Since there won't be any access to the house part of the coop for the babies while the divider is in place, any suggestions on providing temporary sleeping quarters for them? (Eventually they should all roost together, I expect, since there is plenty of room.)

Also, any thoughts on the banty rooster integrating with the full-size 4-year-olds? He was "supposed" to be sexed as a girl, but clearly that did not go as planned. We have never had a rooster before and are hoping he does not become a crowing nuisance (we live in a city neighborhood) so that we can keep him. (Aside from liking him, I would be worried about our lone banty hen getting picked on by the big girls and being the only little one in the flock--that's why we got TWO bantams in the first place.)

All suggestions welcome. We are pros by now on our original flock, but have never attempted to add to it.

A large dog kennel is probably sufficient. Be sure it’s positioned or covered in case of rain so it stays dry. I have also overturned a large plastic tub, cut a door in it and used that for shelter for chicks before.

If the banties are raised with the other chicks, they stand as good a chance as the larger chicks. The chicks outnumber the adults, always favorable odds. As long as they are strong and healthy, I’ve had luck raising bantams with standard fowl. Only if the bantam chick isn’t thriving have I found problems.

I would not count on keeping your little roo quiet. My two bantam boys are the most obnoxious crowers in the bunch. Loud, shrill crows. They also like to scream at everyone else to behave, lol. Begin looking around for a new home before you need one.

Back
Top Bottom