1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Integrating hens???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BYOChickens, Dec 10, 2011.

1. BYOChickens

BYOChickens Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2010
    So my first crops of ladies are now reaching the 9 months stage and my wife thinks I need more birds.....you know the story. I have a connection to get some Cuchoo Morans that are about 4 months old. How do I mix the two groups of birds? I currently have a big coop and also a run about 200 sf. Do I need to build a second coop for the new birds or just mix them all together? If a second dwelling, I want to go as basic as possible to keep for the temporary separation. Thoughts?

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Put them together and put lots of obstacles for the youngsters to hide or get away from the older ones. Put several feeders and waterers out. I hope that works well for you too.

3. BYOChickens

Dec 23, 2010
    So you think I can bring them home and go right into the run and coop without building a second coop? That would be great if I don't have to build another house!

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    You could. But they should be quarantined for a month.

5. BYOChickens

Dec 23, 2010
    Quarantined from what? If I were to raise chicks from birth would I have to do this as well? How to do this? Thanks

6. confusedbanti

confusedbanti Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2010
    somerset,CA
    We had 6 Bantam hens , so last year we decided to get 4 more. We took them home and just let them out in the Run. Oh boy !! BIG mistake ! Everyone attacked the new hens even Charlie the Rooster . It was all out war !! Pulling their feathers , holding them down, I mean war! We had to put a temporary small coop inside the Run and divide the Run with Chicken wire. We left it like that for about 2 weeks so everyone could 'sniff' and check each other out. But even after 2 weeks when we removed the fence they still went after the new Hens. Not as bad . It took about 4 weeks for everyone to settle down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by