Integrating Incubator chicks with Broody Hatch

JoshFig

Songster
6 Years
Aug 4, 2015
Question: What is the best way to get a Broody with a new hatch to accept chicks from an incubator?

Background: I have 12 eggs in an incubator and 4 under a broody buff brahma. They should hatch in about 11 days. The hen's eggs are 1 day ahead of the incubator so her's should hatch a day earlier. All 16 eggs still look good - i'd like to give her the babies so I don't have to set up the brooder.

- What is the best way to integrate them? Should I just pop the 12 from the incubator into her nesting box with her in there? Day vs Night???
- Is 16 chicks too many for 1 hen?

Question: What is the best way to get a Broody with a new hatch to accept chicks from an incubator?

Background: I have 12 eggs in an incubator and 4 under a broody buff brahma. They should hatch in about 11 days. The hen's eggs are 1 day ahead of the incubator so her's should hatch a day earlier. All 16 eggs still look good - i'd like to give her the babies so I don't have to set up the brooder.

- What is the best way to integrate them? Should I just pop the 12 from the incubator into her nesting box with her in there? Day vs Night???
- Is 16 chicks too many for 1 hen?

If the chicks look alike or very similar the incubator chicks should be accepted without problem; day or night. 16 chicks is pushing it, but if the hen is large she will be able to care for them. Give the hen the incubator chicks as soon as you can-the sooner the better.

Back
Top Bottom