Integrating little chicks with big girls

1dog1cat6chicks

Songster
9 Years
Mar 9, 2014
Southwestern PA
I've read a couple of threads on this subject, and just wanted to start one of my own addressing our particular set up.
We have three "big girls" who are about four years old--a RIR, a Buff Orp, and a Black Austrolorp. We started out with seven, lost one early on, and then lost our Wyandotte to an infection and both Barred Rocks to hawks 😢. The Buff is definitely 'low girl' on the totem pole, and the Austrolorp is the only one who goes broody once or twice a year.

ANYHOO--ON February 27 we got four Easter Eggers. They are currently in a box in our basement, as we live in PA and the weather is just now starting to get nice.
I would like to integrate these chicks ASAP, as that seems to go a little smoother from what I've read. One of the chicks is ultimately going (somehow, some way) as he is a he, not a she. Still working on finding him a place, would rather not just put him down.

SO. This is our coop-part of a shed.
coop.JPG

Roosting bars (with poop hammock, what a wonderful thing that is!!) to the left, food and water in the middle....and nesting boxes on the right, like so:
nesting box.JPG

You can see to the right, where the pop door to outside is.
(Gratuitous pic of our three remaining girls, plus the late Wynona [RIP] on the roosts:)
roost.JPG

If you look at the first pic, we are thinking of putting up a small area for the little kids to the left of where the roosts are. We'd leave the chicken wire up between the two areas for now, so it will be a 'see but not touch' time. Will provide food/water for the littles in their area, and we can provide a heat lamp [SECURE] because we still have our extension cord run to the shed for now.

So my questions are:
- how long do we keep them in this separate area?
-should we then make a SMALL entrance into the "little kid"' part so they can come and go but the "big girls" can't?
-our run is accessed ONLY from the pop door--how do we handle that with the little kids? I know they'll have to be bigger to go outside, and hopefully by then the big girls will have accepted them....We use an Omlet movable fence, so it wouldn't be especially easy to have separate outside areas since the big girls still need to go inside to lay their eggs/eat/drink.

Obviously this is our first time integrating little ones with big ones, and I am NERVOUS!
Suggestions and ideas are welcome and appreciated!!

It sounds like you have a good plan. After a few days add the small entrance where the littles can go, but the bigs can't. You might want to add another hide (not a trap) as well. Once they mix in the coop on their own they should be able to go in and out.

I'd keep them separated until the adults are more or less no longer interested in staring at them.

Using a panic door (tiny chick only door) is what a lot of us do to integrate chicks with adults. It can be anything from an actual tiny opening, to a fence raised slightly off the ground so only chicks can squeeze under, etc. I use both versions in my set up, there's a few descriptions/photos in here to hopefully give you some ideas (though my chick area is out in the run): https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/short-on-time-recycle-a-prefab-brooder.73985/

Seems like we’d best get busy figuring out how to get them to the big girl house.
Just how much heat will they need when they’re about four weeks old? They sometimes lie under the heat but sometimes not. And all the girls have a lot of feathers but the little guy doesn’t have as many yet. (Sure wish I could find a place for him....otherwise....) it was 43 degrees here this morning.
My husband made them a mini-roost for their brooder and last night all three girls were on it. 🙂. Roosting like big hens even though it’s only a few inches high. Too cute.

Seems like we’d best get busy figuring out how to get them to the big girl house.
Just how much heat will they need when they’re about four weeks old?
Go for it!

Is there power out there?
I use a heating pad deal out in the coop, but I move them younger.

Might try a:
Huddle Box
Make them a 'huddle box', put it in the brooder after turning off the heat(you might have to 'persuade' them to use it) then move it out to the coop with them.

Cardboard box with a bottom a little bigger than what they need to cuddle next to each other without piling and tall enough for them to stand in.

Cut an opening on one side a couple inches from bottom and big enough for 2-3 of them to go thru at once.

Fill the bottom with some pine shavings an inch or so deep.

Back
Top Bottom