Integrating Mama back with the flock

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Shanda, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Shanda

Shanda Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2010
    Elk Grove, CA
    I had a bantum cochin hatch 5 chicks on Thanksgiving weekend. I have her separated from the flock in a corner of the coop with her chicks. Today I went in there to give her and the chicks food and water and to try to hold the babies. I had the top open for a while and Rosy (Mama) jumped out - I think she was trying to get her chicks out because she was making that noise she makes when she tells them, "food here!!". Anyway, she ran around for a bit. Then, one of the flock - Star - was chasing her and trying to peck at her. Now I'm worried about when it's time to integrate Rosy and her chicks with the flock. Is there something special I should be doing now to make this easier later? Is there a special way to do it later?

Also on a side note. I have seen two of my 1 1/2 week old chicks fighting - the same two. Are they exhibiting rooster behavior?

[​IMG]
    Here is a picture of them when they were born...so cute!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Here's one method: https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=14951

My
    setup sounds much like yours. I open the door and watch when I go out there. So far, mama has taken them out into the regular coop for a little while then returns them to the broody section, on her own. In the past I have left the chicks with the flock as young as a week or two. But the other day another hen started attacking the chicks and I had to grab the hen.

Hopefully, mama won't decide they're ready to be on their own before the flock will accept them.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:Forgot to say, sure enjoyed the pics. They are more fun!

I wouldn't be surprised if those two turn out to be roos. Never can tell, of course.

4. elizabethbinary

elizabethbinary Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I've had ones cockfight me that I SWORE were roos and laid an egg one day. Like full on "Imma gonna be top cock, you cocky cock cock! LOOKIT MAH LITTLE BURS! I SLASH YOUR KNEECAPS!" type fighting. You really never know! The two that would attack each other from hatching ended up being hens. Mean hens, but hens. One of them won a fight against a fox. Yes.

As for the rest I don't know... I kinda let my girls hatch out their eggs in with the rest of the group and when they hatch all the hens just accept them.... but I've got a bizarre flock. Since I do a lot of swapping for the farm and raising new chickens for selling, they are WAY used to new arrivals and don't really bother them much. Last time I dropped five new chickens mid-day into their flock and they just got ticked at me that the bags didn't have FOOD in them. Ha.

I am unhelpful. But I come with stories.

5. Shanda

Shanda Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2010
    Elk Grove, CA
    Thank you...all very good info.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by