Integrating my 2-3 month old chicks with my older girls

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LorenMcHugh, Nov 22, 2013.

1. LorenMcHugh

LorenMcHugh Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2013
    My babies are ready to go into the coop and leave my little nursery (my youngests old pack n play). My older girls especially the one on the lower end of the pecking order seems like she would do some damage to a baby if given the chance. I have had them together but separated by some chicken wire during the days for about the past two weeks. I'm gonna have a trial where I put them together with my supervision and see what happens. Will they be able to live together peacefully?? I'm also not sure how to go about the flood situation. Babies should be on starter feed for another month or so and the older girls are on layer feed. How do I work that out if they are all in the coop and pen together. The big girls will gobble up the little ones food. I'd love some advice...that's food situation by the way

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I've not had good luck putting birds less than 4 months old in with grown hens, every time I've tried I've had dead chicks for my trouble. Can you keep them separate for another few months? If you absolutely need to put them together, make sure you have lots of space and hiding places for the littles, and more than one feeder and waterer.

As far as feed, change everyone to starter or grower. Offer either eggshells or oyster shell for the layers--the littles might eat some, but not much. The laying hens can regulate their calcium intake that way.

3. Hillschicks

Hillschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    What i would do is leave the wire seperator.. Just cut an opening big enough for the young ones to get out but too small for the big girls to get in.. It will give the new ones a place to escape to if they are under attack.. You can also keep their chick food inside away from the bigs.. Thats what we did

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by