Integrating my ducklings with my older duck

syoung6868

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 4, 2014
I have a Pekin Duck who is a little older than 4 months old. We recently learned he is a male. We also have four ducklings who are about 7 weeks old now. Our male (Nellie) has been around them and usually goes charging after them and bites one until I yell at him and he stops. Is it possible that he will kill one of them? Or will he just peck at them a little. He has always been alone and the other four have always been together. I am hoping that they integrate together someday. I am also trying to decide if they are old enough to put outside yet. Like I said, they are almost 7 weeks old and have been staying in a heated garage. The temps are running around 50s during the days and dropping as low as high 30s during night time. I have a duck house but don't want to just throw them all in together when I haven't really integrated them yet. I am going to have them side by side with a fence seperating them soon. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I am new to this. ( incidentally, the ducks are all different breeds)

Okay, We don't have a whole lot of ducks. But we have been threw the integrating a few times with chickens/ducks/Turkeys. What we have found was the easiest way to ingrate them. Was to take them out of their comfort zone. We moved two ducks and our turkeys to a diffrent area in the yard. In a new pin. Because it was all their first time, The turkeys were a bit hostel when we tried to introduce the ducks to their old pen. Because that was "Their" Territory. But when we moved them all together the same night into their new pen. They all of a sudden became a flock together. No picking on, now that's All of their territory. However, with the ducks on ducks, Drakes will likely pick on each other when they get older. That you cannot help because each drake wants all of the females. To be theirs. Typically its 2 females to one drake. As far as integrating the younger with the older, I would make sure that they sleep in diffrent area's maybe put a xpen around them. If they are to small. Watch them if they are in a kiddy pool with the bigger one. Some ducks will try to drown other birds they LOVVVVVEEE their pools but sometimes don't like to share their pool. But there sure is a pecking order that they have to get done. So a little bit of pecking, is okay. But make sure its not to much, Ducks don't like change, so they have to get use to the idea's of anything. I hope this helps! Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom