Integrating new birds into existing flock

minou33

Songster
8 Years
Apr 22, 2015
Colorado
I have a flock of 3 older hens (2 years) and six 11 week old pullets. The pullets currently spend the day in an enclosure next to the main chicken run where both flocks are able to see each other. This has been for about a week now and although I'm not sure what signs to looks for--I'm not seeing anything concerning and the older hens are mostly ignoring the young ones. What should I do for next steps? Should I keep them exposed through the fence a while longer? Should I introduce them without fencing in a neutral area? Should I introduce the younger ones into the chicken area under supervision only? I'm new at this and could use any advice. TY!!!

Keep doing what your doing! The look but don't touch method works great. You should do that for several weeks and then cohabitate when everyone is on the same feed (around 16-18 weeks or point of lay) I find that free ranging both flocks in an open area in the evenings one hour before bed helps difuse any potential situations. Good luck and keep us posted!

Adults ignoring the younger ones is a good sign. At this point I would try introducing them with supervision, and see how it goes. If things go well, you can extend the period of time they spend together over the next few days.

UPDATE: I've now been introducing the flocks together in an open area--but they haven't really been trying to integrate. The bigger girls move around together and the little flock (13 weeks) completely avoids them. There has been a few approaches and fights, but it doesn't seem like much progress is being made and the weather is quickly turning (low in the 40s earlier this week). The "chicks" are still sleeping in a spare bedroom in my house at night and I'm anxious to get them moved out already. Any other suggestions? Will it be easier in a few weeks when they are as big as my other girls?

UPDATE: I've now been introducing the flocks together in an open area--but they haven't really been trying to integrate. The bigger girls move around together and the little flock (13 weeks) completely avoids them. There has been a few approaches and fights, but it doesn't seem like much progress is being made and the weather is quickly turning (low in the 40s earlier this week). The "chicks" are still sleeping in a spare bedroom in my house at night and I'm anxious to get them moved out already. Any other suggestions? Will it be easier in a few weeks when they are as big as my other girls?
Our Chicks (6) now 18 weeks are still their own flock. The two older hens still chase them around occasionally. Not any real trouble, with pecking. They coexist in the secure run, coop and the one feeder and water bucket. We started the integration process from just a few days old. So, the two sub flocks might continue for quite a while. Good luck.

I think this is a good sign, do you have roosting space for the "littles"? I would place them on roost at night in the coop with the big girls and wake up early in the morning to supervise. If they are not pecking feathers and drawing blood you are good lol. I am thinking that you will be surprised at how they can coexist together if everyone continues to ignore one another and stick to their flock... how big is there co living space?

I think this is a good sign, do you have roosting space for the "littles"? I would place them on roost at night in the coop with the big girls and wake up early in the morning to supervise. If they are not pecking feathers and drawing blood you are good lol. I am thinking that you will be surprised at how they can coexist together if everyone continues to ignore one another and stick to their flock... how big is there co living space?
I'm a little nervous about closing them up in the coop right now unsupervised. I think I may need to order a coop camera so I'd be able to sleep at night! Our run area is 600 sf and has multiple fenced in spaces, so I've been introducing them all day that way and then some free range time together. They mostly avoid each other and my big maran hen will chase the littles away if they come near her. Not sure if that's a good sign or not.. but no blood!

I tried introducing my 11 weekers in with my 1 and a half year olds. The olders quickly started attacking the younger ones. So they are back to separate spaces. Will try again in a few weeks. One of the older girls is having her first molt also so hopefully she will settle down once it is over.

Back
Top Bottom