integrating new chickens to the flock

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mimi, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Mimi

Mimi New Egg

Nov 1, 2008
    Hello everyone,

Hope your winter is mild and sunny. Here is coastal NC we have had many days in the 60s with warm nights.

I got six pullets before Thanksgiving that are now about 3 1/2 months old. I recently got six more about 3 months old. The "teenagers" bully the little ones---no vicious pecking just an occasional peck and lots of flying at them. They all roost together at night Ok after much pushing and repositioning but during the day I've been keeping the young ones in the coop and the teens in the yard. How long before all will get along? In another few days the young ones will be big enough to hold their own, right?

Thanks for the help.
    Mimi

2. Granolamom

Granolamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Dallas
    Sounds like you're doing pretty good, so far. When I tried to introduce 5 new pullets to my existing hen-and-rooster couple, it didn't go quite as smoothly. Chuck, the Roo, was kinda okay with the new girls (of course, it was in his own best interest...), but Frieda, our then one-and-only hen, pecked them, chased them, and wouldn't let them eat or rest for one second. This was 3 months ago, and to this day, she will NOT let anyone roost next to Chuck, and if the other 5 get too close to him, she'll peck at them and chase them off. They have, however, found some sort of "common ground", and will at least roost in the same henhouse, even though the young ones still keep a respectful distance. Good luck!

3. Granolamom

Granolamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Dallas
    Oh, one more thing: There's a lot to be said for "communal pecking". If you put them all together and feed them some really yummy treats, that they can all peck at together, that's supposed to help a lot with integrating 2 flocks. (Didn't really work all that well for mine, but I think that's because Frieda is a little looney...) I've heard a lot of people recommend that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by