Integrating new chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by julianna47, Sep 2, 2016.

1. julianna47

julianna47 Just Hatched

May 23, 2016
    I have 5 19 week old hens who are not laying yet. I'm trying to add two new Rhode Island reds who just started laying. They are slightly bigger than my original girls. It's not going well. I'm getting discouraged. I need some success stories to keep me motivated!!!!

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
  3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

It takes time...Sometimes weeks..As long as they are not causing injuries..Let them establish the pecking order..It might look bad as they chase each other and peck..Usually I have not had to interfere...You could try putting new hens in a look no touch pen for a week or two if things are really nasty?

Good luck..

4. hollilynn

hollilynn Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2013
    I am in a similar situation. I have had a new hen (I know 1 hen not a good idea but couldn't be helped) for five months in a see but don't touch segregation from my three 2 year old hens. They even can see each other when roosting without touching, 4 days ago I felt it was time to integrate. They have had tons of time to get used to each other. They are completely free range all day. Problem is my three do not allow the new hen near the run with feeders (2) or waterers(2). She either hides in the raised coop 6x12 all day, or is free ranging beneath my trees all alone. I put an extra waterer and food where she was and she ate like crazy. How much more time will it take for them to at least let her eat and drink ? They are all 4 in the coop at night but she sits on a roost by herself.
    No blood drawn, but she stays far away from the three.
    What do you think? Even if she is never part of the group, how long before they allow her to get to the feeders, waterers?

5. julianna47

julianna47 Just Hatched

May 23, 2016
    Ok. Coop is 5 by 6. Run is 5 by 13. They have been in a pen within the run with there own water and food for 5 days. They free range when I'm home. They stay waaaayyy away from each other when they free range. When I put them in the run together three of the originals chase them down and corner them. They haven't hurt them ....yet. Thinking of reversing the situation and put the three aggressive ones in the pen area. Leave the new girls with the easier going chickens for a while

6. chickens really

It will take time being you just really introduced her to the flock...As long as they do not hurt her she will slowly become part of the flock...It looks sad to you, but she is fine...
    Set out more feeders and water stations so she can eat and drink too.

It will calm down in time.

7. chickens really

Sounds like a great idea...We all have to try different things from time to time being Chickens can be mean...Good luck. Sounds like you might of solved your own problem?

Cheers!

8. hollilynn

hollilynn Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2013
    OP, hope I didn't hijack your post, was hoping my situation would be helpful to you and others. This thread is so helpful for calming our nervous fears:) Understanding chicken behavior is so hard for us humans [​IMG] Good Luck with your girls, keep us posted!

Chickens really, thanks for your input! I appreciate your support and experience!!

9. julianna47

julianna47 Just Hatched

May 23, 2016
    I hope so! [​IMG] Gonna give it go!

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Coop and run is a little tight on space for 7...tight spaces make for harder integrations, good you can free range part of the time.
    5 day isn't long for look don't touch...do they all come back to coop/run on their own?
    Mixing up who's out loose and who's confined can help shake the pecking order up.....Chicken Juggling!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by