integrating new chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by farmer12, Jan 19, 2013.

1. farmer12

farmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2012
    Hi, wondering if i can join my chickens w/my neighbors for a week?

2. kellysmall87

kellysmall87 Chillin' With My Peeps

It's best keep them separated by some chicken wire for a few days so they can see and hear each other before integrating them. It may minimise fighting, but I suspect you will get some fights especially as your chickens will be on their territory. Cockerels could fight to the death.

3. nakstk

nakstk Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2011
    Kalama, Washington
    You also don't know about any diseases or illnesses that your neighbors chicken might have that can spread to yours or vice versa. If you are just chickensitting for the week it would probably be best to keep the chickens in their own coops and runs. You will have fighting if you try to combine them. It took mine new chickens about a month being in a run next to my old chickens before the old ones stopped trying to attack the new ones through the fence.

4. olefarmersdaughter

olefarmersdaughter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I just integrated 4 gold stars with my 4 production reds. I locked my original 4 out in the run and put the new ones inside the coop. When I opened the door to let my reds back in the coop, they stopped and just looked very confused BUT no fighting. The new ones are the same size and coloring as my old ones. They still are all "scratching their heads".

5. farmer12

May 25, 2012
    ok thx

6. farmer12

May 25, 2012
    i just dont want any of them to get hurt

7. 20736

20736 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2012
    If you have time, a couple dry runs, where they spend a couple hours together for a couple days will help.
    I have had good luck letting new stock run with the old stock in the yard for a couple days so they have plenty of room.
    Then, the combining seems to go fairly well. Just a little blood here and there.

8. farmer12

May 25, 2012
    ok ill try that

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by