1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

integrating new chicks

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by bear7298, May 31, 2016.

1. bear7298

bear7298 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2015
    I went and got some new chicks this year and they are about 8 weeks old, wondering when I could place them in the coop with my 6 older hens, right now I have them in the run but separated by fencing so they can see and smell but not touch, been that way for about a week,

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Irish Colleen Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    How many do you have? When I integrated my chicks they were around 13-15 weeks old (but I don't think you have to wait that long). The more chicks introduced the less they will be picked on most likely. After letting them see but don't touch method for about a week then I put them in the pen (with the older hens) and let them run around (under my supervision) for sometime but then put them back in their own pen when I left. I did that for a couple of days, you can either put them in there for good in the day time or at night when they have gone to roost (the second option many people recommend). I hope you are able to integrate them without much stress!

3. bear7298

bear7298 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2015
    I have 4 new ones and 6 hen that are a year old

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  4. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Irish Colleen Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Just make sure you put them in together all at once. Also there are a few articles in the "learning center" on the subject.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by