1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Integrating new ducks to flock?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Allysha1990, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Allysha1990

Allysha1990 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2013
    St Malo, Manitoba
    I just picked up a Mallard Duck and a Call Duck and they are both relatively small. I am wondering how to integrate them into my flock? I have 10 chickens and 2 Muscovy ducks already. the chickens don't seem to mind them too much, but the drake Muscovy keeps biting hold of my call duck and holding onto her wings. He also keeps pecking her.
    She is very small compared to my Muscovys and I don't want them to hurt her.
    I currently have the 2 new ducks in a big dog crate so the flock can go up to it but can't grab hold of the 2 new girls.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ^Daisy
    [​IMG]
    ^Gabby

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    That is the best way to introduce where there is something between them so no one gets picked on. give them about a week then try to let them all be together while you are giving some kind of treat they like. Mine go nuts for dried mealworms, it will take time and patience but it should work. especially if 2 new ones are ducks. not drakes. another problem that may arise its your Scovy drake wanting to mate with these small ducks which may not go so well with them since Scovy drakes are so big.

3. Allysha1990

Nov 19, 2013
    St Malo, Manitoba
    Would the drake be a problem just because he might hurt her if he tried, or would the eggs be too big to fit out?

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    More the size of the drake mating with a duck so small, he may even drown her if in water. Not sure if egg size would be any different. Plus you know if a Muscovy drake breeds with a Mallard derived breed their off spring will be sterile.

5. Allysha1990

Nov 19, 2013
    St Malo, Manitoba
    I did not know that! Well, the Muscovys are my parents ducks and I am looking after them until they get their barn winterized. Maybe I will have to crack the whip and hurry it along so I can shoo the bugger off lol

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I love my big Scovy drakes but they are huge. can't imagine one breeding a small call. or mallard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by