Integrating new hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by crumpet, Nov 10, 2008.

1. crumpet

crumpet Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2007
    Anyone have any hints for integrating a new hen? I have a flock of 20 free-rangers and will be getting a new hen this week.

I know I should isolate her, but at the same time, that will make it hard for her to get to know her new sisters. My chickens free-range -- should I let her free-range too, once the isolation period is over?

Anyone have success with this? Any hints?

2. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    I have kept a new hen in a large dog crate outside when the others are free ranging ...I put it next to their waterer or feeder so she can reach through the bars to eat and drink....and then I put another smaller one in the coop for at night...with water and feed....Its your judgement when you feel their ready to mingle...there will be some fighting....good luck ....

3. fatguyaz

fatguyaz Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    Crumpet, i'm going through the same thing with some younger hens going in with some oder ones. One got pecked real bad when i put them in the coop together, but they leave each other alone when they are all out free ranging. It's just in a confined space that i have to seperate them. Hopefully they'll get along better when the younger ones get a lil bigger and can peck back!

4. crumpet

crumpet Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2007
    thanks for the ideas... I'm thinking of walling off part of the run for her with some deer fencing that they can see each other through, then letting them mingle under supervision.

I'm a little nervous doing this now, because it's getting cold and I feel like the chickens ought to be snuggling up together. Poor hen will be by herself... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by