1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Integrating new members in winter

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Hemigirlone, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Hemigirlone

Hemigirlone New Egg

Jan 19, 2015
    I just got a new bantam to go with my family of 3. I placed the new member on the roost at night & this morning they are treating her TERRIBLY (ok, I'm obviously not a hardened farmer). No blood has been drawn, but I'm worried she not able to adequately access food & water. I can crate her in the coop, but am worried about her ability to stay warm enough. We are in a very cold spot in western MA

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    They are just establishing the pecking order. This happens to some extent any time you add too or subtract from the flock. Can you put in another feeder or waterer? Give her some sort of hiding place? As long as no blood is drawn, I would leave her in there. If you separate her and try again later, it's just going to start all over again.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  3. Hemigirlone

Hemigirlone New Egg

Jan 19, 2015
    Ugh. Thank you :)

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Sorry - integration is seldom pretty...

5. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    When you add the second feeder, can you put up a board, so that if a hen is eating out of the bowl, part of the run can't see her?

Also add other hideout, but make sure they are not traps, and some roosts in the corner of your run, a pallet up on blocks, or leaned against a fence can really let birds get out of sight of each other. Your run may look more cluttered, but they will be happier if they can explore different levels, and actually multiples the space available.

Mrs K

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by