Integrating new members...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chicks Galore3, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I am getting new chicks April 1st, and I wondering when the best time would be to integrate them? like, what age?

2. DavidKerk

DavidKerk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2013
    Well, I have always tried to introduce my chicks at about 16 weeks old because that is when I transition my chicks from starter feed to layer's feed. I have also heard that the best time of day to do this is in the evening when all the chickens are roosting for the night.

3. lahowardjr

lahowardjr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2012
    Bache Oklahoma
    I also introduce new pullets when its time to change over from starter to layer feed. I divide up my pen and let them get accustomed to each other through the fence. I have a small cage that I weather proof and darken that the chicks roost in at night. It takes two weeks or so for them to acclimate. There is still a rearrangement of the pecking order for a week or so after they are brought together. I also recommend introducing them at night. Many just put them on the roost with the old flock when everyone is sleeping on the roost. Still keep an eye on them to make sure no one gets beat up too bad.

4. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Ok, thanks guys! We are might be going on a 2 week vacation when the chicks are around 4-5 months old- prime time for intergrating and for my rooster I am getting!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by