1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Integrating new pullets to flock.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by abejita, Jul 6, 2011.

1. abejita

abejita Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Ok, I got my first 6 pullets about 3 wks ago. I decided that I hadn't gotten enough (I am sure no one here has done that, LOL!) and I got 4 more from the same breeder this past monday. The breeder said that I didn't need to quarantine the new pullets because they had all come from the same flock at his farm. Monday, I waited until dusk and put the new pullets on the roost with my first set of chickens. Of course, my first set of pullets are chasing around the new girls. All day yesterday, the new pullets have stayed in the loft and on the roost away from the mean girls who stay on the run area of the coop. The food and water are also on the floor of the run. I have put small containers of food and water in the loft area to make sure that the new girls are getting some. When I let the girls out in the yard to range, I shut the new girls up in the coop/run so that they can explore and eat and drink in peace. Can I assume that they will eventually work things out or is there anything that I can do to help them integrate faster and easier? 8 or the pullets are about 18 wks and two are 14wks old.

2. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    Eventually they should all coexist happily, so really it's just a waiting game. [​IMG] It can take anywhere from a couple days to a couple weeks. If they get into serious fighting then separate them to where they can see eachother but can't get to eachother. After a week try putting them in again. Good luck! And [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    It will take a week or 2 but they will be fine.

4. abejita

May 3, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Thanks! I've decided to separate the two younger pullets as they seem to be having more trouble getting to the food and water. I have a 2'x3' wire cage that I have put inside my coop/run. Is that big enough for the two 14wk old pullets to stay in for a couple hours a day to make sure they are getting food and water?

and thanks for the welcome!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  5. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    For a couple hours a day that should be fine. [​IMG] Enjoy your chicks!

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    It's good that you added extra food and water. Especially when it's hot out, you want to make sure they have access to them.

7. abejita

May 3, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    water was my main concern because I live in north texas and we have been in the upper 90 to 100 for the past month. This was also one of the reasons I chose a local breeder because I assumed the birds would be better acclimated to the climate than the birds shipped from other areas...may or may not be true...

8. Moonkit

Moonkit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Richardson, Texas
    Quote:Hey! A fellow north texan! I also got my bunch from local breeders. My chicks seem to enjoy having access to a shallow pan of water to wade in and drink from.

9. abejita

May 3, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    [​IMG] Hi!!

10. abejita

May 3, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    I went out to see if I would have to put the newbies on the roost with my original pullets, like I did last night....and....they decided tonight that it was ok for them all to sleep together on the same roost!! Maybe they will start to be cordial to one another soon...one can only hope!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by