integrating new pullets

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by gibsterl, Jul 29, 2014.

1. gibsterl

gibsterl Chirping

Sep 3, 2012
    New Hampshire
    I have a flock of 5 hens ranging from 2-3 yrs in age, I am trying to introduce 3 pullets, the first day there was some chasing but not too bad and all roosted together. By the 3rd day though they were being pecked alot-no blood-but enough they were huddled in a ball and were not able to eat or drink. We separated them by adding a barrier of chicken wire in the coop.They can see each other easily, but even with the barrier some of the old girls try to reach them through the fencing. This week opened a small doorway so they could come put and then would have a retreating spot if need be. The few times they have ventured out they get pounced on right away. The pullets are about 11 weeks old at this point. I can keep then separate for a little while but as they get bigger it will not be possible plus really want them integrated. My next thought would be to add them to the group and take out the 2 older aggressive ones and separate them into the spot where the pullets are now-kind of mix up the pecking post. Anyone have other thoughts?

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Crossing the Road

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Removing the two most aggressive ones might work. I have never tried that myself, but there are other threads where people have mentioned it. No matter when you put them back together, there will be some chasing and pecking. If you could give them some hiding places and put out another feeder and waterer that would help.

3. gibsterl

gibsterl Chirping

Sep 3, 2012
    New Hampshire
    I have two feeders and waterers and that worked well last time but even so this time the older ladies were relentless. These are a bit younger then the last ones so might be all about size....time will tell...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: