Integrating NEW purchased chicks with hen raised babies?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by shemarie, Oct 4, 2013.

1. shemarie

shemarie Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2007
    Topeka, KS
    I have 3 store bought chicks which I purchased over labor day weekend..so they are approx. 5 weeks old. Two days after I bought them I found my 'lost' Buff Orp. who was sitting on 17 eggs. She hatched 14 mutt chicks on Sept. 12th. My 3 purchased chickens are in the barn with the goats and a warm light..my mama and babies are in one end of the coop partitioned off,with a dog house and mama to keep them warm. My question is..how the heck do I integrate all of them. Mostly I am worried about the purchased 3. They have no one to protect them...I am thinking doing the playpen method in the coop with a partition in the run for just them for a couple of weeks and then once they are comfortable, opening up the broody partition to let mama and her mob out. Any thoughts? Oh...I have 8 other hens and a Barred rock rooster to add to the mix.

2. shemarie

shemarie Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2007
    Topeka, KS
    Oops..mama and babies are not in the coop proper but at the end of the RUN, with a dog house for shelter.

3. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    The 3 store boughts and the 14 chicks would probably integrate fine if the hen wasn't in the picture, but depending on her temperment she may accept them as her own with no problem. Be careful, the hen *might* beat up the store boughts.
    I would try integrating all 17 chicks without the hen, then integrate them all with the hen several days later.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by