Integrating New Smaller Flock after Quarantine - Dusting

horscraz

In the Brooder
Sep 17, 2020
North Central, WY
We adopted a smaller flock about 2 months ago. I have quarantined from my existing flock since we brought them home. they didn't look the greatest so I dusted for mites, etc. before I put them in my old coop. As suggested on other boards, I will be integrating soon and have built a small temporary coop next to the existing run so they can get familiar with each other. I have tested the perches and didn't see any blood. Would you dust again?

I am integrating two flocks now. The new flock is behind 1/2” hardware wire in the same coop so they can see, smell, and get used to each other. They’ll probably get let loose this weekend. I’m sure there will be an adjustment to the pecking order and some mad hens but it will come together.

Just so I'm clear - did you actually verify they had mites or did you dust them just as a precaution?

If they were confirmed to have mites, depending on type of mite, yes you should re-treat with 5-10 days (depending on type).

If you did not confirm that they had mites, then it's up to you if you want to treat again (but I wouldn't have treated in the first place).

Back
Top Bottom