Integrating nine 12-weeks olds into the older flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CarolJ, Dec 25, 2011.

1. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    My 12-week olds are just about the same size as my older chickens. I decided to integrate the two groups today. They've been living side-by-side for about six weeks - with only wire separating the two pens. I've opened the door between the two pens many times - and they've gone in and out of each other's pens. Today, when all the 12-week olds were in the larger pen (while the older ones were outside free-ranging), I closed the door to the smaller pen so they couldn't get back in. I stayed to supervise them as they went to roost. There was some minor pecking as the older ones came in to roost. The younger ones were a little panicked not to be able to get into their own pen - and they didn't seem to know what to do. As it got dark, though, I picked them up one at a time and put them on the roosting posts next to the older ones. There was a minimum of squawking since it was almost completely dark by then. I've been out to check on them twice now - and so far so good. They're all settled in next to each other.
    I will head out early in the morning to make sure the olders ones behave. Wish me luck!

2. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    good luck! I would also leave hiding spots for your 12 week olds just in case they need to make a hasty escape to a safe place!

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

That sounds like plenty of integration/segregation processes and now it's time to just let them establish the new pecking order. Unless it involves blood, I'd let them work it out. Nobody is really a "stranger" to the others so it's just wing-room and rank to work out.

4. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    What breed of chickens do you have? I am just wondering because we will be doing this next spring. Thanks

5. CarolJ

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I have a wide range of breeds within the two groups - Araucana, Easter Eggers, New Hampshire Red, Rhode Island Red, Ancona, Jersey Giant, Welsummer, Brown Leghorns, Barred Rock, Blue Rock . . . and I think that's it.

The integration has gone very well. They're all settled in for their second night together - and they free-ranged together all afternoon. So except for minor scuffles as they work out their pecking order, they're great! I'm thrilled it went so well. [​IMG]

Thanks for all the good luck wishes. [​IMG]

6. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    Sounds great! I hope our integration goes as well. We have 5 hens now that are almost 10 months old, 4 RSL and one Dom. We will be getting 2 EE's. 1 salmon Faverolle and one mystery chick ( meyer free meal maker) We have a free one that is a RSL. I think good chances of getting another RSL again.

7. Donna5

Donna5 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2011
    Wadsworth, IL
    I have been trying to integrate my silky and 2 cochin partridges with my 2 EE,1 black jersey, 1 orpington and 1 silver lace wyandotte for months...they have a condo built onto the bigger hens' house. Anyway...I saw improvement and decided I had to just go for it but I needed to feel confident there would be no further bloodshed/death (yes, we lost one silkie to pecking) To ease my transition I put a baby monitor in their house and they can go all come and go as they please. Funny thing though, I feel the 5 big hens are more agressive when I am overseeing? They cannot possibly be smart enough to tell the difference could they?? The baby monitor may be silly to some but has really made this transition possible!

8. CarolJ

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    A baby monitor is NOT silly. That was on my Christmas list - and my adult kids got together and bought it for me. Well, mine's not technically a baby monitor - it's a wireless video camera that I can watch on my TV. I plan to get it set up tomorrow. Why? I'm nosey and I want to see what they do when I'm not around. [​IMG]

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I have a baby monitor system with audio and video in use in my coop. So, no, not silly at all.

10. Donna5

Donna5 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2011
    Wadsworth, IL
    its funny two of you have video also. My sister suggested I get one, but figured the family would think I had lost it!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by