Integrating older and younger chicks

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by SliceOHeaven, Oct 22, 2013.

1. SliceOHeaven

SliceOHeaven Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2013
    Hi! We're pretty new at all of this.. we have 14, 15-wk-old pullets (hopefully!) in the coop with a large run.. and 6, 8-week-olds.. still in the barn under lamps.. When and how do we integrate them?
    Thanks!
    Shelley

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'd integrate them when the younger chicks are twelve weeks old or so. There are several methods to introducing new birds. Many times, its best to put the young birds in a cage/area inside of the older birds run/area. This way, they can see each other, but can't injure each other. After a week or two, let them integrate together. There will be fighting, but hopefully letting them get used to each other at first will prevent serious fighting.

You could also try introducing them at night. When they are all roosting (or sleeping, if they haven't started roosting yet), put the younger birds in with the older ones. When they wake up together in the morning, they usually won't fight as much.

No matter what you do, there will be some fighting. As long as there aren't any serious injuries, and no blood, they'll be fine eventually.

3. SliceOHeaven

SliceOHeaven Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2013
    Thanks! That's all very helpful!

4. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    The sooner you do it, the smoother the transition will be. Some people ease them into it like Wyanndotte does, me, I just dump them all together and call it a done deal. I've never had a problem mixing young chickens that still had a good attitude and bright outlight on life. Only a little bullying & pecking at feed & roost time but that's TCB. I only have problems when full grown grumpy, hateful old hens are involved in the mix.

5. Gloria2hens

Gloria2hens New Egg

Aug 17, 2013
    Southern Ontario
    Who has heard of grumpy, hateful old hens? That's the first I've read. I have 2 delightful hens right now and hope to buy 3 wee chicks in the spring. 5 chickens should get along if there is enough room, food and water? I guess I will see next season. Cheers!

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Older hens do get pretty grumpy.[​IMG] They often dislike the overenthusiastic antics of younger birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by