Integrating Older Girls

Mamma_Duck04

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 27, 2011
Crazyville, VA
Ok, I'm coming up blank on searches, so I'm just going to ask. Most of the posts seem to include a rooster or chicks-to-adults integration.

What about trying to integrate 3 very-free-range girls (4mo) into 6 coop/run kept girls (3mo)? The 3 are RIR, the 6 are RSL- both groups are the same body size and the age range isn't so different.

But the 3 RIR girls aren't so used to people (they come when fed) & like to fly up into trees & on top of piles of wood, etc.

The 6 RSLs have access to a large grassed run all day & closed in the coop at night, they're used to people- VERY, they fly as much as the run allows but not really & definitely not into trees or on piles of stuff.

Should there be many issues since they're similarly aged? Or will there maybe be more problems because the RIRs are used to being so free? And how hard may it be to tame the RIRs down to people like the RSLs are?

Also- would integration be easier to do after replacing the current coop with the new one? The run would be the same though...

Thanks for any input!

We had four hens and a very small house. We built a larger house, was given two older hens, and put them all in at the same time. The new hens, who were free range hens, wanted to be queen bees, but suprisingly they were overruled by the original top of pecking order. The laying stopped for a couple of days, and there were spats, but now everything is fine. The new hens are becoming friendly after two weeks. Eggs are being layed..luckily everything worked out for me..good luck..I think you may want to build your new house first and put them all in one evening.

Back
Top Bottom