integrating roo into new flock opinions wanted, please

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jennh, Dec 18, 2010.

1. jennh

jennh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
    Hi! I have a BJG roo that I'm giving to a friend that has 5 hens. They are a couple of weeks apart in age. My friend wants to introduce them during the day. I said I thought it was better to do it at night. I have introduced 4 other broods that way with 100 % success. Would a roo make any difference? Should they be introduced during the day or night? Opinions, please ?

Thanks!
    Jen

2. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    I have introduced chickens during the day with no problems but mine free range so they have tons of room to establish themselves. In a run might be different.

3. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    If it's 1 roo being introduced to hens, it doesn't matter when -they will be fine - if it's a roo being introduced to another roo with hens, that's another story...

4. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Actually, the age of the birds is the key here. If the existing flock is young, say under 8 months or so, the rooster may not be mature enough to take control of the existing pullets, which will resent a newcommer. If they are mature, like over a year, no problem, day or night. Cockerals lack in self confidence. They need plenty of room to escape aggressors and night intros seem to be preferred. Of course, there is a vast array of circumstances, so anything could happen..........Pop

5. exop

exop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Are they all the same breed - is there much of a size difference? The Jersey Giants I've raised have been pretty shy birds, overall... If the rooster is used to interacting with other BJG (is that B for Blue or Black?), he shouldn't be too scared of the hens, and I don't think they'd gang up on him. Generally my own hens seem to think boys are kind of nice to have around and they don't give new ones any grief.

Best - exop

6. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    We kept the rooster in a rabbit hutch next to the run for a few days before putting him in with the hens. The hens were so happy to have a man around, they were like teenage girls posturing for Brad Pitt!

They'll adapt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by