Integrating Small Older Flock into Much Larger Younger Flock?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cmary, Aug 26, 2010.

1. cmary

cmary In the Brooder

Nov 7, 2009
    Hello all... well, you all helped me many months ago when I brought my small flock home. Now I need your help again please! I am moving and want to bring my ladies and rooster with me...I have 4 Rhode Island Reds, and one rooster, a Silver Spangled Hamburg. He is a great rooster - good with people but protective of the flock. My chickens are all around 3 years old. Now I have taken a new job (I am a farmer) where I will live at my workplace. They already have a fairly large flock of layer hens - I'd say at least 20-30 - no roosters. They look younger but I've only seen them briefly so it's hard to say. I want to bring my chickens but in order to do so, I will have to integrate them into the existing flock. What is the best way for me to do this? I have a period of about a month and a half to work on it. Thank you!!!!!! [​IMG]

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I take it you're not concerned about biosecurity issues?? I think a large part depends on how old the other (younger birds) are. If they're not of laying age, I'd say your four (not worried about the rooster...he will do fine within a week or so) will fare much better than if they're full grown, but just younger than yours.
    I'd set your chickens a place up with a run, so they can get use to the new place first. Once they see this new place as "home," I'd let them out to free range a bit while the others are out, as long as they know they can run back to their safe area. The next week I might try putting them in the big coop with the others after dark... Whatever you do, I think gradual is best, as well as being around to observe so that nobody gets badly hurt...
    Good Luck!

3. cmary

cmary In the Brooder

Nov 7, 2009
    The others are definitely laying...does this make a difference? And should I be worried about biosecurity issues?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by