Integrating smaller breed

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jleigh4510, Jan 12, 2017.

1. jleigh4510

jleigh4510 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2015
    I have successfully integrated several flocks but my newest flock has a very tiny chicken in it. They are beyond old enough but I'm still scared to mix them because of how small this one chicken is.
    Does anyone know if bigger chickens will pick on a smaller chicken just because she is small? I'm not sure what to do with her since she is the only one that small.

2. jleigh4510

Oct 2, 2015
    My big flock is 10 hens and 1 rooster and the flock I want to integrate is 2 ameracaunas, one cochin and the small bantam.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

What breed is the bantam?

How old is it?

It's not always about size. Some tiny birds will take on the giants without batting an eye. It's more about temperament. Have you heard the saying "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog"? Same applies to chickens. But yes, some small birds will simply be targets.

4. jleigh4510

Oct 2, 2015
    I did some searching and i think she is a japanese bantam. She is old enough to lay so im guessing about 16 weeks. The ameracaunas do not pick on her but I'm scared my older girls will. I was thinking about seperating the meaner ones while letting them integrate with the rest of the flock. Any thoughts?

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

You'll just have to give it a try, see if she can hold her own.
    Since you have integration experience already you know that lots of space, places to 'get away', and multiple feed/water stations will help.
    Short timeouts for overly aggressive birds might be in order as a last resort.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by