Integrating the girls and free ranging?

EarthMuffinTop

Chirping
Feb 10, 2023
Central Virginia
Hello! So I have 6, 11 week old pullets and 2, 8 week olds. This weekend we put the “littles” in a makeshift holding pen inside the run. I allow my “bigs” to free range a few hours a day at different times. My question is, can I let the littles out to free range as well, or should I wait a couple weeks? I hate them being “cooped up” (literally) while the others are out. They wanna run and play so badly! TIA

Hello! So I have 6, 11 week old pullets and 2, 8 week olds. This weekend we put the “littles” in a makeshift holding pen inside the run. I allow my “bigs” to free range a few hours a day at different times. My question is, can I let the littles out to free range as well, or should I wait a couple weeks? I hate them being “cooped up” (literally) while the others are out. They wanna run and play so badly! TIA
What is the temp? You probably shouldn't let the 2 week olds, but it probably will be okay for the 2 month olds

They are 11 weeks(6 of them) and 8 weeks(2 of them). It’s in the 70s/80s day and 50s/60s at night.
Okay. Do you have a fenced in area for them, so they are safe from predators if they run around? If so, it probably will be okay for them to run around in the day time, and before night, around 7 or 8, I'd lock them up again, and let them out in the morning.

Okay. Do you have a fenced in area for them, so they are safe from predators if they run around? If so, it probably will be okay for them to run around in the day time, and before night, around 7 or 8, I'd lock them up again, and let them out in the morning.
Yes! They have a full run, and then the free ranging is in a fenced in back yard. I’m not concerned about the free ranging part so much as letting the “littles and bigs” out together while we are trying to integrate them. Make sense? I stay out with them while they are free ranging but I just don’t want the bigger girls to pick on the little ones bc they haven’t been together yet…just the look but don’t touch idea in the run.

Yes! They have a full run, and then the free ranging is in a fenced in back yard. I’m not concerned about the free ranging part so much as letting the “littles and bigs” out together while we are trying to integrate them. Make sense? I stay out with them while they are free ranging but I just don’t want the bigger girls to pick on the little ones bc they haven’t been together yet…just the look but don’t touch idea in the run.
Yeah, Socializing them, you have to watch them at all times for the first couple of days, but first I would put them in a dog cage or something like that, so they are around each other, but not able to get hurt, this way, they will hopefully get used to them :)

can I let the littles out to free range as well, or should I wait a couple weeks?
The chicks need to know where home is so they will return there at night. If they have not been wherever you want them to be at night, you might want to keep them there for a week or so. But if you are comfortable they can be brought back in safely they can go out now.

I would expect me of two things to happen. All 8 of them hang out together or the two different age groups each form their own sub flock. It is possible that at the first the 2 younger ones try to join the 6 older ones and they get pecked and run off. But if that happens I'd expect the younger ones to quickly learn to avoid the older. It may go great or you may have the problem of watching two separate groups.

Back
Top Bottom