integrating two flocks

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cactus-hen, Nov 15, 2009.

1. cactus-hen

cactus-hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    Next May I will be moving in with my brother. He has about 16 chickens. I have 29 chickens. I want to combine the two flocks. I understand about keeping them separated at first. How long should they be kept apart and how far away from each other should they be?

2. Daisygirl

Daisygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    New Zealand
    Do either of you have roos? I'd imagine thats where the problem would lie...but then again, those hens are fierce. [​IMG]

3. PakehaCherie

PakehaCherie New Egg

Nov 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Daisygirl - I love your profile pic! A baby Kiwi! I wonder if we can even get them here in the US? I wonder if they are hard to raise?

In regards to intergrating the two flocks, yes, you should keep them seperated just while they acculmate to the new enviroment and develop immunities to any new "germs". Most people do this for two-three weeks.
    When you finally put them all together, I would recommend doing it at night....this step seems to make the transition easier, perhaps because the chickens are exposed to eachother by sound and smell rather than visually (to start out with). Make sure there are additional waters/feeders, in case any are bullied and kept from getting to the feed/water. Check on them early and regularly so you can catch any fights or injuries quick enough to prevent anything serious from happening.
    'Hope that helps,
    --PC

4. cactus-hen

cactus-hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    My brother's flock has two roosters and I have one rooster and two cockerels that will be roosters by the time we get there. Both flocks are free ranging. His coop is a 10x10 building separated in the middle by wire. One half is for the chickens and the other half is for storage. He also has an old empty sheep shed 5x5 about 30 feet from the coop. It can be used as a temporary coop. Is that far enough away from the coop to maintain quarantine?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by