Integrating very young birds...........

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gabby3535, Apr 22, 2009.

1. gabby3535

gabby3535 Chillin' With My Peeps

I wonder if anyone has experience with or opinions on integrating 9 young birds?
    Next week I will be getting 6 youngsters from a breeder...........2 5-6 week old Silkie pullets, 2 Ameraucana pullets (approx.
    4 weeks old) and 2 Black Copper Marans (also approx 4 weeks old.)
    I am assuming that when I bring them home it will be their first time 'together'.............
    And to complicate things even further, 2 days later I will be receiving my 'Trio of Light Sussex' from Greenfire Farm (2 pullets and a roo)........also just around 4 weeks of age.
    What is the best way to integrate them all?
    Until the weather becomes a little more 'stable', and they are all feathered out, they will be in a large kiddie pool in the spare bedroom......
    Can I just put them all together right away, because they are all so young and approx the same age?
    Should integration be easier at this age....................or the same as if I brought home adults?
    Advice please?
    Thanks!!!

2. Eastins Eggs

Eastins Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Ceresco Nebraska
    You can put them together if you keep the room dark. IE- 15 watt bulb.

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I put mine together while free ranging. I put plenty of treats (scratch) out for them so they fixate more on the treats than each other. They will still be some bickering as they establish their pecking order. I would quarantine the new birds from the existing ones for awhile in case there are any health issues since they will be coming from a different place. It's up to you.

4. aberfitch

aberfitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas Fort Worth
    Quote:you have a very nice farm!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by