Integrating With the Big Girls

PasoRoblesEgger

Songster
May 30, 2020
Central Coast-California
Back in July I bought 24 chicks, they are 11 weeks old now. Lost three, but the rest are doing well.

Due to CV-19, I have spent a good deal of the time working from home. They are in the pen at night, but I let them free range during the day. Which meant they spent a lot of time on my back patio. They decimated most of my succulents & tomatoes and I have to pressure wash the concrete every day, but I wouldn't trade my experience this summer for anything. I call them 'babies" in a sing-song voice. Where ever they are, they come running to me. Sounds like a heard of elephants, lol.

When I walk in the garage, they know that's where the mealworms come from and they stand in a bunch right outside the door waiting. It's so stinking cute. If I do go to work, when I come home and walk out on the back patio, they come running up to me. We've had chickens for years, I've just never hand-raised them like this before.

We're on two acres outside of town, but they are starting to wander further away from the backyard. So it's time to put them in the pen with the big girls.

I've let the hens (11) out several times, and they haven't bothered the babies. So I'm hoping the integration goes well. Our coop is 8x16 and their yard is huge, but I'm having parental anxiety about the big girls picking on them. Any advice to make this run smooth?

Attachments

• ck4.jpg
    ck4.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 3
  • ck3.jpg
    ck3.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 3
  • ck2.jpg
    ck2.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 3
  • ck1.jpg
    ck1.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 3
Space is a huge help and having engineered hiding places for the little ones to get away. I have some pieces of leftover hardibacker that I can prop up in the run. Just something to break line of sight.
With as many as your introducing it should go fine. A tactic I use is to introduce an equal number or greater so th e old girls are "outnumbered". They can't pick on everyone.

Back
Top Bottom