Integrating Young and Restless (I mean Young and Older)

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by tulie13, Dec 4, 2011.

1. tulie13

tulie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    NW Florida
    I have 21 chooks that are 1 to 2-1/2 years old, eating laying pellets. I got 15 more chicks earlier this fall, they will be 3 months old this Christmas (born Sept 26).

The smaller ones are eating medicated chick starter with amprolium, of course it's higher protein and without the added calcium of laying pellets. The older ones are getting laying pellets.

I have the "small" ones separated from the others, but lately there have been many escapes LOL. Plus they are RAPIDLY outgrowing their segregation area and I might not be able to keep them apart for long. I have heard that you should feed the little ones chick starter for the first 4 months, and I know the laying pellets with the added calcium is NOT good for growing birds' kidneys.

If I can't keep them separated for more than 3 months, will they be OK switching over to eating laying pellets at that age? I think I can hang on for another 3 weeks or so, but they are growing fast... At 3 months I think I'm going to have a problem with segregation space, BIG TIME! They've already had a little access to the pellets, and I know some of them have sampled. I just don't want to hurt their kidneys.

Should I buy some grower pellets instead and free-feed oyster shell grit? It's not like I'm getting any eggs right now anyways, maybe 3 a day out of my 21 hens.

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I'd get a bag of Flock Raiser. Both ages can eat it safely. You will need to offer free choice oyster shell or crushed egg shells though (for your older girls), as it doesn't have a lot of calcium.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  3. tulie13

tulie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    NW Florida
    Thanks! [​IMG] I'll check with my feed store on Monday!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by