1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Integrating young injured bird into adult flock (pretty urgent)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicknsnbiskits, Apr 20, 2009.

1. chicknsnbiskits

chicknsnbiskits Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    Hi. I have a new 7-week old pullet/chick and four adult hens. The little one is hiding under the coop. I can't get her to come out, and the big girls are not being nice to her. When we first picked her up, I noticed some feathers missing from her tail area, but once we got her home (before she went in with the big girls) I saw it was a bigger area of missing/broken feathers and there is blood on her tail. She's obviously been picked on before, and doesn't want to risk it. I'm worried that she's not going to get enough food/water to keep herself healthy or alive eventually.

Recommendations?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Make her another pen with food and water. She'll need to be separate until at least 15 to 16 weeks.

3. jenni2142

jenni2142 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    South Carolina
    If she has any visible wound she should be separated until she is healed, the others will see the blood and continue to peck. Did you just get this bird? you should quarantine for at least a few weeks to prevent disease. It is best to keep them separate but visible for awhile before integrating, after the quarantine. You should rescue that poor girl right away.

4. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Yes, she shouldn't be put with the older ones yet. Keep her separate until she is totally healed and the same size as the others. You may consider putting her with one hen as a companion if you have a quiet, gentle one that won't pick. That way she would have a friend. That would also help with re-integration because she would have a buddy.

5. chicknsnbiskits

Oct 20, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    Ok, I made her a little sub-pen inside the big pen. She has her own food/water and some shade/bedding. She wasn't happy about being in it at first. I'm still not sure she is.

Thank you everyone for your advice!

I do have ONE quiet bird (the Polish that the other girls usually push around) and I think they would get along pretty well. When (how old) should I put her buddy in with her?

6. chicknsnbiskits

Oct 20, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    Quote:Yes, I just got her a couple hours ago.

How does the quarantine prevent disease? They are still close (same pen-separate areas). What should I be watching for during the quarantine?

7. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Give her until no blood or red spots are showing before you give her a buddy. Then watch closely for a few days to make sure is all is well

8. jenni2142

jenni2142 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    South Carolina
    quarantine is to make sure she doesn't bring in any disease, just watch for any abnormal behavior/symptoms. I've seen a few sad stories on here of people who didn't quarantine. When I brought in a roo for my girls they didn't allow it, my docile hens went through two fences to get to him, so much for bio security.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by