Integration and Logistics Questions

whatsthequestion

Songster
May 25, 2020
West Virginia
My chicks range in age from almost 2 weeks to 4/5 days old with my Barred Rock. They are a mixed variety from the flock except two Lavender Orpington chicks (They were eggs from my brothers flock after their coop was attacked, which is why they hatched earlier.). I have two other hens with a total of 3 chicks about a week old. This mess began when we were on vacation. Our chicken sitter was afraid to remove the eggs from under the sitting hens. When we returned chicks were underway.

Should I begin giving them access to the rest of the flock? Wait a bit more because of the very littles? My ramp (pictured below) is long but not incredibly steep. I'm concerned about them falling off. Maybe put hay or pine flakes in that area?

I let them out in the coop and watched them with their chicks. My Barred Rock let hers explore their side of the coop. She went outside for a few minutes but they stayed behind. My bantam mom also brought her chick (part baby Leghorn)out to explore. My French Copper Maran came out with her two chicks, however, when the Bantams chick peeped the "distressed Mommy call" she immediately ran to it and began pecking it. All heck broke lose, my bantam is fiesty and protective but my French Copper is much bigger. She may have killed the chick had I not intervened. The French Copper ventured towards the Barred Rock's end but was quickly driven back.

I've never done chicks with mothers hatching and rearing them. I feel fairly inept at this point and am surely over-thinking everything. I've read lots of posts, and articles, etc. There is an incredibly mixed consensus. Any chicken owners out there who have had this scenario? Thank you in advance for your help.

Attachments

• 20210626_175545.jpg
    20210626_175545.jpg
    742.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20210626_174606.jpg
    20210626_174606.jpg
    704.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 20210626_173727.jpg
    20210626_173727.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
So you have three hens with chicks?

It's probably fine to let them be with the rest of the flock, as long as there is enough space. I've seen some broody hens with chicks who wanted all the other birds to stay 10 to 20 feet away, or more. (Not all broodies are the same, so your might demand more or less space than that.)

For the interactions between the hens and chicks, you may need to make pens for two hens for a few days, while letting the third loose. That way they can all see each other through wire dividers, but cannot hurt each other's chicks. Then let out another hen (under supervision), and then another (also under supervision). You could trade them in and out of the pens if you wanted, according to which ones were behaving how.

I suspect things will settle down in a few days, as the chicks get older and are better at staying with the correct mothers, but of course you have to get through those days safely!

So you have three hens with chicks?

It's probably fine to let them be with the rest of the flock, as long as there is enough space. I've seen some broody hens with chicks who wanted all the other birds to stay 10 to 20 feet away, or more. (Not all broodies are the same, so your might demand more or less space than that.)

For the interactions between the hens and chicks, you may need to make pens for two hens for a few days, while letting the third loose. That way they can all see each other through wire dividers, but cannot hurt each other's chicks. Then let out another hen (under supervision), and then another (also under supervision). You could trade them in and out of the pens if you wanted, according to which ones were behaving how.

I suspect things will settle down in a few days, as the chicks get older and are better at staying with the correct mothers, but of course you have to get through those days safely!

I really appreciated your advice! It helped! This was my brooding pen system in the coop we settled on. I started letting one hen at a time out with chicks, then two. Within a week all three were able to be out all the time and integration into the flock went smoothly. After having a better idea on how to best manage this, I've gotta say I ten to one prefer letting mamma hens do the work of raising chicks. Lol Thanks again!

Attachments

• 20210630_095123.jpg
    20210630_095123.jpg
    1,007.6 KB · Views: 6
I really appreciated your advice! It helped! This was my brooding pen system in the coop we settled on. I started letting one hen at a time out with chicks, then two. Within a week all three were able to be out all the time and integration into the flock went smoothly. After having a better idea on how to best manage this, I've gotta say I ten to one prefer letting mamma hens do the work of raising chicks. Lol Thanks again!
I'm so glad I was able to help!

Thank you for updating!

That's a really nice setup in your photo. I'm envious!

Back
Top Bottom