Integration Day with pics

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CMV, Nov 24, 2011.

1. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Against my better judgement I decided to try out a new cockerel. He is an exceptionally beautiful EE who seems to have his head on straight, so although he is young I have some hope for him working out. I have been slowly introducing him, but decided to take the plunge today by allowing the flock to meet him unimpeded by fence.

SUCCESS!!! Most of the girls are already in love with him. (Truth be told- I am half in love with him, too. He is so handsome.) He is being gentle but firm. No major battling. The old, dominant, GLW hen picked a fight with him, but she got knocked on her fat fanny, so she has been avoiding him since. To his credit he knocked her down, but didn't pursue her after he knocked her down. She scuttled away embarrassed but unharmed. Another younger BR hen has been picking a bit at him, but he is wooing her despite her best efforts to be a brat to him. He is not being pushy with any of them. I love it. Too bad all integrations couldn't go so smoothly.

Here are some shots of the new flock. Isn't he a beauty? His name is Alfredo.
    [​IMG]
    Alfredo and Buttercup had a budding romance through the fence. She is thrilled with him.
    [​IMG]
    Some of the crew. The only ones unhappy with him are the bare-backed BR and the GLW in the upper left. He is wooing the BR, though.
    [​IMG]
    Two favorites have been chosen already- Chipmunk and Buttercup. Note that Speckles is hanging around despite herself.
    [​IMG]

And the ducks are watching all this with great anxiety, but they are anxious about everything, so...Nothing new there.
    [​IMG]

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

2. kota1369

kota1369 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    He is gorgeous! Glad to hear everything went well. I know how hard it can be to get them to get along. It seems to just take time and let them get through their ritual pecking order. My 3 new ones have been with the older two for 4 months or so...... and they are finally starting to become one flock. What kills me though, is when the dogs are out the chickens want to be around them. Its to cute.
    Thanks for the pictures....... always love to see them.

3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I introduced new hens to my flock this past weekend. My main roo Steve only challenged one of the new girls (named Janet). Steve quickly showed her who is the king of the hay-bail. Now he is attempting to win her over. He is paying awfully close attention to her, and attempting the mating dance [​IMG]

It's wonderful when you have a sweet rooster. I wouldn't trade my boys for the world! I might come back to regret saying that, because my BR cockerel is really young still. I have high hopes though!

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    The question of the day was: When bed time comes around where will Alfredo go? His chicken tractor? Or the main hen house?

I found him in the hen house on a roost surrounded by his adoring ladies.

Yay! Successful integration! I love it!

5. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Glad to hear everything is going so well. Your flock is adorable! That includes your ducks [​IMG]

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    He is a beauty!

7. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Congrats on a smooth intergration. [​IMG]
    It is nice when things just fall in place.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by