Integration disaster looming?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PeepMePosted, Aug 23, 2008.

1. PeepMePosted

PeepMePosted Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2008
    Altadena, CA
    Help! I'm being held captive by the fear of my year and a half RIR, Ginger (aka "the bully"), and her SLW partner in crime, MaryAnn, pecking the stuffing out of our two little ones. The 2 babies (an EE and BR) went out to the coop at 6 weeks (they're 2 1/2 months now), and the 2 big girls will not stop attacking them. It's been over a month already! We've had 2 bloody beaks, which would have been worse if we didn't break it up. My question is, how long does it take to integrate? Does it ever NOT work at all? In the coop they have wire between them so they can interact without getting to each other. We let them all free-range every day and when they're in an open space there's a lot of chasing and squawking. That's normal, I know. But when the babies get anywhere near the coop, the big girls corner them and go after them viciously. The little ones scream and I can't stand it. I feel like they will never be able to share a coop together. I thought establishing the pecking order generally took a week or two, but this is showing no sign of improvement. Anyone have some helpful hints or words of encouragement?

2. eggsgalore

eggsgalore Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2008
    It took 4 months before the old ladies (including their mother!!) started to integrate the new chicks, who actually grew up in this group.
    The new rooster helped integrate the group even more, the sweet heart.
    They are all one group now without pecking, just some posturing here and there.

3. PeepMePosted

PeepMePosted Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2008
    Altadena, CA
    4 months? Oh my! But at least it happened in your case so you've given me hope. I was starting to wonder if it ever will in our mini-flock. To make matters worse, Ginger is starting to molt. So, she's unattractive AND a bully! Guess we all go through those times! Thanks for your response.

4. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Having integration problems myself. I have five Marans that have been doing well in the run with the big birds, but I can't seem to get them settled in the coop. They currently have their own little house on the other side of the yard. They mingle with only a little fighting all day and at night the roo just won't let those babies stay in the coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by