Integration going well, so far

lereg

Songster
Jan 22, 2017
Middle Tn
A couple of days ago, I decided to let my brooder chicks out in the actual coop with the older ones. Supervised of course. So far, everything is going pretty good, except for a few pecks and chasing.
The smaller chicks are 7 and 5 weeks old, and the older chicks are 11 weeks today. It's probably a little early to try this, but they are able to see each other all the time, and with the rain, I figured I would try it out.
Once they all can get along, I want to put the nest boxes in the brooder, and just take the doors off of it. Hopefully this will work.

No questions? Just like to share?
If you like go get some comment /tips you can ask for them and add a few pictures.
I just thought I'd share my experience so far. If you'd like you could give me some ideas for the nest boxes though.

Attachments

• 20210606_145018.jpg
    20210606_145018.jpg
    738.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 20210525_164319.jpg
    20210525_164319.jpg
    707 KB · Views: 4
  • 20210516_131424.jpg
    20210516_131424.jpg
    693.1 KB · Views: 4
What a cuties. ❤️ And a great space.

I would rearrange the roosts. Make them horizontal on the higher level. Add a ramp/ closed ladder to get up. Make a poop 💩 board underneath for cleaning. And put the nest boxes under the poopboard.

May you can use construction wood for roosts after you sanded off the sharp edges.

What a cuties. ❤️ And a great space.

I would rearrange the roosts. Make them horizontal on the higher level. Add a ramp/ closed ladder to get up. Make a poop 💩 board underneath for cleaning. And put the nest boxes under the poopboard.

May you can use construction wood for roosts after you sanded off the sharp edges.
I'm not sure how I'd be able to move the roosts from where they are at, without adding supports of some kind. This is just made from supplies that I had laying around to house. Also, with 22 chicks,eventually, occupying the coop, I sorta need all the roosts for the space I'll need for them all. Another thing is with a screened in porch, I wanted to keep them from being right by the windows. If plywood ever comes down, I fully intend on making a poop board.

It's all been a work in process, but I'm happy with it so far. If I put the boxes in the brooder, that would save me from figuring out how to set up the roosts, and I could add a makeshift poop board over them.

Thanks for the suggestions, but I wouldn't know how to go about it.

Back
Top Bottom