1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Integration ...im kinda scared

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by captainmommy3, Dec 16, 2012.

1. captainmommy3

captainmommy3 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2012
    We have 3 grown RIR hens and 3 new 4 month old girls who are approximately the same size except for my little bantam i have had them in the same coop for 2 days now and they are still not being very nice i have 2 waters and 2 foods but the older hens are trying to control both of them i am worried to leave them together while i am at work tomorrow should i remove the older ones until i get back hoe and them let them try again or should i just stick it out and hope it doesn't turn ugly or that the little ones don't starve or die of thirst????? I don't want the older girls to kill the babies and i know things can escalate quickly if the big ones gang u together.[​IMG]

2. Linn Bee

Linn Bee Chillin' With My Peeps

I would remove the big ones and return them slowly in a few days one at a time. This will give your youngsters the feeling that they own the coop. Returning the big chickens one at a time will upset the pecking order each time, giving the young ones confidence. I returned my gentlest elders first and my meanest girls last.

I would also make a safe place for the bantam to get away if necessary. I did that by adding a small corner of fencing high enough for my little ones, but too low for my dual-purpose girls. That way they could be safe while I wasn't around.

Love, Smart Red

1 person likes this.
  3. captainmommy3

captainmommy3 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2012
    That sounds really good..... how long between the introduction of one grown hen should i introduce another??? [​IMG]

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Another method of integrating new birds is to keep the two batches separate but visible to each other so they can get to know each other. When you put them together do so at dusk when the established ones won't pick on the newbees. Then, let them out of the coop right at dawn for the same reason. Best of luck to you!

5. Linn Bee

Linn Bee Chillin' With My Peeps

I put one back about every day and a half. Once together the two flocks didn't free-range together, but had no problems roosting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by