Integration injury question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mr.hutch23, Dec 3, 2011.

1. mr.hutch23

mr.hutch23 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2010
    I have 13 nine week old chicks that I moved out to the coop last week, where they joined 4 six month old Australorps. The coop was divided in half by netting. One of the chicks (An all white one, White Rock? my Meyer Meal Maker) got onto the big girls side somehow and got pecked pretty good on the back of the head. When I moved her back to her side that small injury (couple flecks of blood) got worse, likely from curious pecking by the other chicks. I moved here into the basement where the brooder was.

What now?
    DO I have to keep her in the basement until her injury is totally healed? Will I be able to stick her in with the others then? At nine weeks she wouldn't make much of a meal now.

Is there something I can do to the wound so it heals faster?

Thanks for your time.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Get something called Blu-Kote at Tractor Supply or other farm stores. It comes in spray or dab-on, is blue and contains alcohol and gentian violet which are very good antiseptics. It is great for injuries that aren't terribly and life threatening, because you can apply it and sometimes put them right back into the flock. I have treated many chickens with dog injuries or having all of their head feathers pulled out, and it works great. Keep watch over your chick--she may just be one that is low in the pecking order.

3. mr.hutch23

mr.hutch23 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2010
    Thanks for your response. Actually she is top of the pecking order among the 9 week olds and is aggressive enough that challenging the big girls might have got her in trouble. Will other birds not peck at this Blue Kote stuff?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The blue color discourages pecking since they are attracted to the color red. I've had injured birds put right back in with large patches of feathers missing, and it stops the pecking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by