Integration of 2 new birds to 8 one year olds

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LisaMarie81, May 22, 2019.

1. LisaMarie81

LisaMarie81 Chirping

May 8, 2018
    "The Jog", Massachusetts
    Looked through some of the integration posts here, but, still looking for input.
    Currently have 8 one year olds. Now have 2 new babies (about 3 weeks old).
    I have a second coop going up very soon where Ideally I'd like to put the 2 new girls in and add 3 of my current girls. so each coop will hold 5.
    So...integration wise. Should I put the 2 new babies in the new coop first then introduce 3 others from their current coop a little later on?
    Or should I put all 5 in at the same time (2 new birds and 3 current ones) thinking they will all be getting used to new surroundings and not pickin on each other

BarnhartChickens98 likes this.
  2. BarnhartChickens98

BarnhartChickens98 Crowing

Oct 28, 2018
    Manhiem, Pennnsylvania
    Wait till they are close to the same size to integrate, i would put the young ones in the empty coop until they are old enough to be together. Are the coops within sight of each other? if not i would make sure they can get some see but don't touch time.

3. LisaMarie81

LisaMarie81 Chirping

May 8, 2018
    "The Jog", Massachusetts
    Yes the coops are only a few feet apart. also 3 of my 8 current birds are bantams so possibly could integrate the new ones when they get Bantam size? Move the banties to the new coop with the other 2?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: