Integration of single pullet into small flock.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by fl_deb, Dec 24, 2010.

1. fl_deb

fl_deb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    i have tried suggestions but none have worked so far.

I am now trying the allow single bird to free range daily, while keeping flock contained in run. The single bird has started to "own" her range by chasing away the squirrles repeatedly, as well as any other bird (I just hope this bird is a pullet and not a roo), she is about 14 weeks old. I am hoping that in a few weeks, I will have had everyone free ranging together and just let her go to bed with the big girls. Any suggestions about this plan is very welcome because I running out of time and ideas for integration.

She has been bloodied several times now and I have removed her accordingly. So this is kinda my last hope for success.

2. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    sounds like a plan. adding one bird is hard but gettng her used to the space is a good idea I think

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:Describe situation in more detail. Route taken now may not resolve problem to your satisfaction. For example, I do not consider red-tails to be a major threat to my free ranging flock, but they can be a major threat to single birds, especially juveniles.

Show an updated picture of bird as well.

4. fl_deb

May 7, 2010
    For clarity. she has been bloodied during other attempts to integrate her like right between the eyes and just above her beak.

She is free ranging, but this is usually within a few feet of coop and run (both of which are elevated on deck pilings and totally enclosed by hardware cloth so she can seek shelter underneath) and all of this is under an old oak tree. She does come onto the patio area, but there is alot of furniture, potted plants, and the like for her and she does use them as I have seen her under gas grill numerous times and left deposits [​IMG] in her more favorite spots.

I am sorry, but Santa did not leave me a camera for Christmas. [​IMG]

She is definitely in that juvie stage where you wonder if they will ever "fill out".

I can say that she has been losing her "peep peep voice" for a much more grown up voice of "Buk Bukkkkk" when distressed.

5. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    How does new bird compare in terms of size and age to general population?

Do you have the ability to split main flock into two for a couple days?

6. fl_deb

May 7, 2010
    The main flock of 3 birds were hatched in March 2010. Production reds (2) & Lt. Brama x Amerucana (1)

The new girl I think was hatched in July???? and is Amerucana. She has gain significantly in height but is still noticibly smaller, hence why I thought another 2 - 3 weeks would help in growth. She still has that juvie quickness when chased by the other birds.

If you are talking about splitting the 3 up, and keeping new one out of the mix then, yeah I don't currently have the space (cages) to do that.

Hmmmm......I could put the new girl's cage inside the run with the big girls....hadn't tried that yet! Actually, now that I think about it, I think I could actually use the new girl's cage to divide coop and run apart, thereby allowing me to split the group of three up, 2 in the coop, 1 in the run, and new girl in between. I'll have to double check dimensions. but I think I can. Just have to come up with nest box for the run, and a few extra feeders and waterers.

Is this a better plan?

7. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:Definantly an option that can be pursued. Break up group long enough, so when re-introduced, the pullet can join in as new social order established.

Your pullet is at least 20 weeks old based on late July hatch. Sometimes splitting up not best as can create management headaches when re-introducting.

8. fl_deb

May 7, 2010
    But is remaining in the same enclosure really breaking them up?

I thought they all had to be removed from area and then reintroduced.

9. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:I think so. Maintenance of social rank seems to require periodic direct contact. As an example, I can separate a group of roosters and place them in pens with little more than wire between them for several days, then release them and they will act as if they do not know each other and start fighting. This fighting between more individuals is what you want. Reduces attentions to any one individual. Rank will be settled quickly with less damage to any perceived outsider, in part because none will exist.

10. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    This is how I added a single hen first to four and then I added a fifth later. I put them in a wire enclosure in with them. I have a run/pen type situation. It took a while. She (the fourth) was noticeably smaller than the others also.
    sharon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by