Integration Phase 1 and a near disaster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Hottchick, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Hottchick

Hottchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    I sectioned off a corner of my coop for my new babies who are too big to keep in the house anymore. We moved them in yesterday afternoon. Of course, my 12 week old Leghorns are like "who the heck are you and what are you doing in my house?". The babies seem happy.
    Now for the near disaster. I put a heat lamp in there last night because it's chilly at night and almost burned the coop down! I tried to adjust the light so it wouldn't be quite so bright and wound up burning a hole through 1/4 inch OSB board that was covering their area. The whole is big enough for 3 of my fingers to fit in. Won't do that again! Thank goodness it didn't burn down and kill everyone. I guess I underestimated the heat lamp. We all need to be careful......[​IMG]

2. slackwater

slackwater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    SoMD
    I'm sorry to hear about your heat lamp near-disaster, but I'm glad it wasn't any worse! On the flip side - what are you using for your inner pen?

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Yikes! My biggest fear. I love the inner pen. That's a storage shelf for bins without the bins, right? I have one of those to keep my daughter's crafty stuff in. Very handy. Nice new utilization.

4. Hottchick

Hottchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Yes, those are panels to make storage shelves. I had them left over from building my guinea pigs cage 3 years ago. I used them as an outdoor play yard when my first batch of chicks was small. Now the bigger girls can see the little girls and they actually can reach their heads in there for a very short bit. They have pecked one or two of the babies. This way they can get to know each other before I turn them loose.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by