Integration Pt 2

CKfarm22

Crowing
Jul 8, 2021
Central NJ
Hey y’all so i posted another integration thread but i wanted to do an update and need some nice advice. I have an almost 9 week old Buff Orpington and 3 7 month old hens. I started integration a couple weeks ago. She’s been in a “see no touch” in the coop for about 5 weeks now. I started by letting the older hens free range while the BO was in the run by herself. While watching them i allowed the older hens in the run also. Two hens pecked at her and i only budded in once or twice. I’ve been trying to let the BO out everyday while i’m home and watching them, she’s been out in the run with the older hens in for about a total of a week. We have a pallet in the run where she can hide if need be. But the older hens are still pecking at her and chasing her. The BO doesn’t follow the older hens into the coop at night, and i’m worried they will hurt her in the middle of the night so when the older hens go in, the BO goes back into her see no touch. Can anyone give me nice advice on something else i can try?

Yes it is bigger in just scared she’ll get lost in places or escape lol. I’ve tried not to intervene but i have a really big heart and i get very anxious when i see the others pecking at her and she squeaks lol
Since you've had her several weeks she *should* remain in the vicinity of her coop. But I don't know the ins and outs of your yard, so up to you if you think she'll stay put with your yard the way it is.

What happens if you manually put her on the roost once it's dark?
I just put her on the roost and it seems to be fine right now.
5013C515-5740-42FE-9685-B873FDB2A9CA.png

Forgot if it's come up on the previous thread or not, but plan on opening the pop door early tomorrow morning if at all possible (or if it's safe leave it open you can just leave it open), in case she needs to hightail it out of there at sunrise.

Forgot if it's come up on the previous thread or not, but plan on opening the pop door early tomorrow morning if at all possible (or if it's safe leave it open you can just leave it open), in case she needs to hightail it out of there at sunrise.
So far so good. Left the pop door open last night and she was the first one out in the morning. My boyfriend said they have been pecking at her butt a little bit but no blood has been drawn. I’m hoping after today they’ll be fine with eachother

I’m having somewhat of a similar issue, I have 4 older hens that are 3 years old. They are the “top” hens in my flock of 16 tow of them being roosters. I know 4 of my younger pullets are laying and my older top hens are not. With that being said my top hens like to hang out in the coop sometimes during the day and scratch around in the bedding(hay) and when the pullets come in to get into a nesting box to lay they chase them out. I’m at a loss on what to do about it. Some of my pullets won’t even go in there when the top hens are in there. Any ideas what to do????
I would suggest posting your own thread so you get more answers. I had the same issues with top hens chasing out the one pullet. It only lasted a couple days and everytime it would happen, i would either put the pullet in with my hands or i would kind of yell at the older birds so they knew it was wrong to do. After a couple days they kind of just stopping doing it because the pullet would be in the coop whether they like it or not.

If your run is secure is there anyway you could put an outside nesting box?

I could try, the free range area is just a yard lol😂 i would have to put soemthing in front of the gate so she can’t slip through the bottom of it. I forgot to mention we also have a flipped over 5 gallon bucket she can hide behind too
Yard space is still bigger than the run though, I'd assume? The goal is to give her as many options to get away from the others if needed, so you won't have to intervene, hopefully.

Yard space is still bigger than the run though, I'd assume? The goal is to give her as many options to get away from the others if needed, so you won't have to intervene, hopefully.
Yes it is bigger in just scared she’ll get lost in places or escape lol. I’ve tried not to intervene but i have a really big heart and i get very anxious when i see the others pecking at her and she squeaks lol

i’m just more concerned about them still pecking at eachother
It's still going to happen, so that's why giving her as much space as possible and obstacles to hide behind is important, so she can make a getaway when needed, since it's unrealistic to expect to be out there every moment to monitor what they're doing.

It's still going to happen, so that's why giving her as much space as possible and obstacles to hide behind is important, so she can make a getaway when needed, since it's unrealistic to expect to be out there every moment to monitor what they're doing.
I know pecking is normal and so is chasing as long as there’s no blood or she’s not cornered

Back
Top Bottom