Integration - What to Expect

ReelFaster

Songster
Feb 16, 2021
S.Jersey
There is already a lot of great content about this topic I've read, so thank you for that info and allowing me to formulate a game plan.

Just a little background, I have 3 hens all roughly 1yr old give or take. Two 8+ week old chicks in an adjacent run separated by a gate & chicken wire. They have been living in this run for about a week + now. I sprinkle food along the gate few times a day so they all eat together. When I let the hens out to free range, I let the chicks out into the main run to get acquainted with their soon to be run. This weekend I plan on integrating them full time. Now a couple of times I mixed the chicks with the hens and well...... they got pecked which I expected.

I just wanted to get more info from folks who may have experienced this first hand on what I can fully expect once they are integrated. How much pecking is too much? How long does this typically last? I know it looks and sounds worse than it really is but just want to get a good handle on it not going to far. I plan as mentioned in several threads to add some obstacles, places the smaller chicks can only get to, adding more food and water and I also plan on keeping the adjacent run and making an entrance to it only big enough for the younger girls to access/escape. I also plan on putting them into the coop at night to start off the integration. Thanks much in advance!

I shall share my experiences.
I had a pretty simple integration, it worked really well though. This probably could've been done faster but I had a broody and didn't know how she would react to them.

7 week old chicks.

NOTE: chickens were all let out to free range together regularly, not separated, during integration

6th of May- chicks moving out! A part of the run was blocked off with a metal dog pen. It had holes big enough for chicks to stick heads through. It was near the adult drinker so that adult hens would have to go near the chick pen to drink, and get used to them. At night, the unused nesting boxes were blocked off for the chicks to sleep. They were taken out in the morning. This continued until.....

17th of May- sharing a run! The gate was opened but fence was still there for chicks to go back in (gate completely removed in 2 days). The chicks still slept separately.

21st of May- Sharing a coop! Chicks were still put inside the nesting boxes at night but the boxes weren't separated.

23rd of May- Official flock members! So proud of my chicks who went in the coop all by themselves! They still try to avoid the hens but they do not fight and live together well. Sometimes they do need a little peck from the older hens just to remind them who's boss.

what I can fully expect once they are integrated. How much pecking is too much? How long does this typically last?
My chicks get a little peck every few days by Fries if they get too close to her. Mostly during feeding time. It isn't a hard peck.
When the chicks are eating, Fries will come over and just make a noise, the chicks run off and will let her eat alone for a bit before going on the other side of the feeder to eat

I shall share my experiences.
I had a pretty simple integration, it worked really well though. This probably could've been done faster but I had a broody and didn't know how she would react to them.

7 week old chicks.

NOTE: chickens were all let out to free range together regularly, not separated, during integration

6th of May- chicks moving out! A part of the run was blocked off with a metal dog pen. It had holes big enough for chicks to stick heads through. It was near the adult drinker so that adult hens would have to go near the chick pen to drink, and get used to them. At night, the unused nesting boxes were blocked off for the chicks to sleep. They were taken out in the morning. This continued until.....

17th of May- sharing a run! The gate was opened but fence was still there for chicks to go back in (gate completely removed in 2 days). The chicks still slept separately.

21st of May- Sharing a coop! Chicks were still put inside the nesting boxes at night but the boxes weren't separated.

23rd of May- Official flock members! So proud of my chicks who went in the coop all by themselves! They still try to avoid the hens but they do not fight and live together well. Sometimes they do need a little peck from the older hens just to remind them who's boss.

Awesome info, thank you so much for sharing. Hoping this all goes well, these two little chicks are such sweethearts.

Good luck.

And don't worry, I was freaking out when my babies first left me! But they have been so much happier and energetic since they moved out.
I know someone who would just put their chickens together and watch them to make sure there were no injuries (without integration!) and it worked out okay for them.
So I'm sure with careful integration, it will work out

I can't tell you what to expect because this is my first rodeo, but what I absolutely didn't expect was for my Splits to spend so much time in their mini-coop-and-run when they have the big run to explore.

But it's very hot today so they may just be seeking shade.

Back
Top Bottom