Integration woes

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by hahmmy, May 2, 2017.

1. hahmmy

hahmmy Just Hatched

Sep 26, 2016
    Hi,
    I am trying to integrate two new pullets to replace two lost to hawks. I have an easter egger and a black australorp who are about 9 months old. I got a barred rock and a new hampshire red , both about 5.5 months. I housed them separate for a week but let them see each other. Now due to other circumstances they have to be together. I have combined them in my larger coop and run. Coop is 6 by 4, run 4 by 14 ft so they have lots of room. I know they have to establish pecking order but it is making me nervous! The easter egger ( who of course was the bottom bird in the past) is being super aggressive to the new hampshire red. She attacks her and pecks her, but the younger bird can typically get away. She has been cornered in an egg box however. No blood is drawn but wow is that easter egger a meany! I am assuming I just need to let this work itself out, it has only been two days and three nights. All is quiet at night and all are in coop. I go out if I hear alot of bickering and break them up, but maybe I should not even do that? I feel bad for the new hampshire, she is pretty scared. I do see her and the barred rock eating and drinking when the older two are in the coop so I know shes not starving. Should I do anything else?? Thanks!

2. CityKidChickens

CityKidChickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2016
    I had this problem as well. I had to go to Florida so I introduced 3 week old chicks to the flock. They all died. I also integrated some chickens the same age as yours. They pecked hard and there was some blood. Don't worry. I recommend expanding the run and giving the weaker chicken some room to run where it can hide. The pecking should go on for 1-2 weeks. At max, possibly some light pecking at 1 month but it should stop soon. My family hated it but if you think about it, it happens in nature. Just let it happen and everything should be alright. Best of Luck!

3. Little Fuzzy

Little Fuzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2016
    I put my 3 wk olds into my wire broody cage in the coop so everyone could see each other. It worked great. They free ranged in the run during the day and went into the cage at night. At 5 wks I let them out of broody cage and everyone is happy. Although the chicks do get chased a little, but they are fast! Now I am having trouble with the hens not laying in their nest boxes though.CHICKENS!

4. hahmmy

hahmmy Just Hatched

Sep 26, 2016
    Thanks everyone. I will just be patient!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by