Integration

CKfarm22

Crowing
Jul 8, 2021
Central NJ
I’m new to integrating chicks and i’m not quite sure how to do it. I currently have a 7 week old buff orpington. She is in the coop in a “see no touch” but i’m afraid soon she will be too big for this set up. Does anyone have any ideas on how i can integrate her with the bigger hens?

I always take as much time as possible with integration. I let them see each other for at least a week or two, then start up on supervised interaction (where I let them intermingle while I stay in the run/coop with them to intercede if necessary). After a week or so of this (depending on how the older hens are treating them), I’ll leave them unsupervised for a half hour to an hour, checking in on them from time to time. When they seem used to each other (and the more dominant hens will ALWAYS peck at them a little - it’s about conditioning the younger ones into learning who to avoid), then I can leave them together all day.

I always take as much time as possible with integration. I let them see each other for at least a week or two, then start up on supervised interaction (where I let them intermingle while I stay in the run/coop with them to intercede if necessary). After a week or so of this (depending on how the older hens are treating them), I’ll leave them unsupervised for a half hour to an hour, checking in on them from time to time. When they seem used to each other (and the more dominant hens will ALWAYS peck at them a little - it’s about conditioning the younger ones into learning who to avoid), then I can leave them together all day.
I tried this once about two weeks ago, kinda just letting them intermingle when i was out there and they older hens only pecked at the younger ones. (I had two 6 week old chicks now i only have one) because i went inside of the garage and i heard a loud squawk so i ran out and of the chicks was in the corner bleeding, unfortunately it passed away, but i don’t think it was from the bigger hens, i think it was flying around and hit its head on one of the support beams at the top of the run.. but ever since then i have been very very nervous to put the other one out with the bigger girls :/

Is it possible to free range them for a bit while your watching them? This way your BO will have lots of space to run to if pecked and you will be able to work out their behaviours towards your younger chicken when there's no divider.
I could do that! We also have a extra pallet i was thinking about cutting to make a hide away for her in the run just in case she needed to get away

I tried this once about two weeks ago, kinda just letting them intermingle when i was out there and they older hens only pecked at the younger ones. (I had two 6 week old chicks now i only have one) because i went inside of the garage and i heard a loud squawk so i ran out and of the chicks was in the corner bleeding, unfortunately it passed away, but i don’t think it was from the bigger hens, i think it was flying around and hit its head on one of the support beams at the top of the run.. but ever since then i have been very very nervous to put the other one out with the bigger girls :/
Keep an eye on them and intervene if it gets too rough.

About 4 weeks now
That's plenty long.
Pics of your set up might help us help you.
...and knowing the number and ages of birds involved.

Here's some ideas about.....
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/integrating-new-birds-at-4-weeks-old.72603/

And some.....
Integration Basics:
It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better.
Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.
Good ideas for hiding places:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

Back
Top Bottom