Integration

Disheygirl

Songster
Mar 21, 2021
Indianapolis, IN
I have eight year-old hens and six three month pullets. There are two coops and two chicken “yards” connected by chicken tunnels. Each yard is about 12x20, and I have multiple feeders and waterers and stuff that breaks up the space so they can’t always see each other.

I integrated the young ones about three weeks ago. As expected there was some light bullying, but there’s plenty of room to get away, so I figured it would eventually cease. I also separate them midday for a few hours and the young ones sleep in a different coop at night.

My home office looks out over the yards, and the three adult girls on the bottom of the pecking order are just relentless with the chasing. Relentless. There have been a few feathers plucked, but no real violence or blood - they’re just mean and chase them.

I have the peeper eyewear and I’m strongly considering putting them on the two worst ones. The littles aren’t being harmed, but what kind of life is it to live in constant fear of the two jerks? Will it make them mean adults? They travel in their little pack of six, but at least once every 30 minutes, someone is being chased. If I put the peepers on the two, am I disrupting the flock dynamic? If so, is the alternative to separate them (keep them contained in one yard each) until they’re basically at POL and big enough to peck back?

Wouldn't hurt to try the peepers. If nothing else it should distract the bully hens for a bit to give the babies some relief.

I personally wouldn't sweat a chick being chased once every 30 minutes, especially if no physical harm is being caused and the chicks are still able to eat and drink without too much issue - but I can understand that it's distressing to see and with more than 1 hen doing it, that could be problematic if they were to team up.

Lucky for them, I have two giant dog crates available for their immediate residence. Do I crate them in the run or stick them in the garage?
Maybe when it's time to let the 2 bullies out release one at a time? At least they can't tag team that way.
I know I'm not much help but have been reading as many of the integration posts that I can. I need all the help I can get, too. ;)

Back
Top Bottom